Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, For those doing BLW with your LO, when did you offer beans? I saw on KellyMom they recommend beans later in the first year .... anyone know why? DS is 8 mos and LOVED beans. I didn't consider not giving them to him, as I didn't think they'd be a problem (other than gassiness). I gave him plain navy beans. Should I not give him anymore? Just wondering what thoughts are.

Thanks!
Penny

· Registered
2,455 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kdescalzi View Post
I also mash mine a little with the back of a fork. DD loves them.

· Registered
379 Posts
Same here. DD is 8 mths and she has been eating beans for about a month. I just make sure they are cooked really well and I mash them down so they seem less likely to be a choking hazard and so they are easier to pick up. She loves them and they have never seemed to give her gas. (I was concerned about hurting her tummy, but so far so good.)

· Registered
239 Posts
I've been wondering about this too but most places say to wait- I figured til digestion gets more established-did none of your babes have belly aches from beans? Mine is 7 mo and I make lentils and chickpeas about every week and keep lots of others from Eden organic in the pantry.

· Registered
2,056 Posts
I have given DD mashed up beans as well. I've also made hummus out of chickpeas for her. I guess I assumed as long as the beans were not a choking risk they were ok, and she hasn't had a bellyache from that stuff.

· Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JPI and GraceMomma, This is OT but can you plsa share the lentil and hummus recipes? I'd love to try them for my family

· Registered
239 Posts
I get lentils from bulk bins at WF- whatever kind appeals. You need to sort them because there are usually a couple pebbles/bits of dirt. I'll put 4 cupsish in a pan with alot of water. I'll add a bag of whole baby carrots, 2-3 bay leaves, 1/2 piece kombu seaweed -aids digestibility and 3-4 garlic cloves chopped & some olive oil-maybe 1/4 cup. Lentils take about 60 min to cook but test to see-I cook maybe 90 min.. I often turn them low so they take longer ftr reaching a rolling boil. towards the end I throw in 2-4 chopped yukon gold potatos & several chopped leaves of chard. (the potatos take longer so you put these in earlier if you want perfect cooking. I work it around my baby so as long as it works I'm happy. I add probbly 2 t salt towards the end too & serve it to DH drizzled with olive oil & freh parmasean. I'm not doing dairy now but when I did I added the heel of the parmasean cheese at the beginning-it makes the stock yummy and it is edible after cooking.
The legume soups can be made interesting the second day by cooking and adding small pasta. My DH is from Rome & a long line of awesome cooks & he LOVES this soup-I'll be serving it for dinner!

· Registered
217 Posts
My LO had a nasty reaction to peas around 7.5 months--uncontrollable vomiting that landed us in the ER twice for dehydration. The first time I thought it was a fluke or bug but by experience # 2, I realized both vomiting bouts occurred about an hour after eating peas. I did some more research and learned that some kids are legume-sensitive but they usually outgrow this sensitivity. Lots of UK resources recommend waiting til after a year to introduce legumes but not much in the US.

· Registered
2,056 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penny4Them View Post
JPI and GraceMomma, This is OT but can you plsa share the lentil and hummus recipes? I'd love to try them for my family

Here is the recipe I used, it's from allrecipes.com

Ingredients

* 1 (16 ounce) garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
* 1/2 cup basil leaves
* 1 clove garlic
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
* 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
* salt and ground black pepper to taste

Directions

1. Combine the garbanzo beans, basil, and garlic in a food processor; pulse several times. Use a spatula to push mixture from sides of processor bowl. Pulse the mixture again while drizzling in the olive oil. Add the vinegar and soy sauce; pulse until combined. Season with salt and pepper.

Enjoy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.