Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am nursing 10 day old twins. They were born at 36 weeks and were healthy but lost 10% of their body weight and weren't gaining very fast so I have been pumping in order to supplement with my BM at the breast and with finger feedings after nursings. Due to this I have no stored BM because we use whatever I pump within 24 hours to supplement or so I can sleep. I have the stomach flu and when I sit down to nurse I end up feeling sick and running to the bathroom. I will run out of milk soon. All I can get around here is similiac organic formula. If something like this happens in the future are there better alternatives? Is there goats milk based organic formula? How do I find donor breast milk banks? I am just hoping to recover before we run out of todays supply of milk and hopefully be able to nurse/pump later tonight or tomorrow but the girls need to eat every 2 hours so they can't wait it out they will have to have formula if I don't feel better in time.

· Registered
545 Posts
What a stressful situation! I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I'm not completely understanding your post, but wanted to say that it's 100% safe to feed your babes BM even if you're sick. In fact, it's the best immune protection they can receive against the bug you have. But it sounded like the issue was more that you get sick when you try to nurse. Are you able to pump? I don't really know about BM alternatives; whatever you do, try to stay hydrated and BF/pump as much as you're able to maintain your supply. I hope you feel better soon.

· Registered
816 Posts
Donor milk banks are expensive. The only goat milk formula I found was recommended for after 6mo.

Would it be possible for you to pump exclusively until you are better? Are you ok with supplementing (if necessary) until you are better and are able to breastfeed your babies without running to the toilet every time? While your breastfeeding relationship is important, so is you getting better. And that might mean you have to do something other than breastfeed exclusively until you get to that point. You would have time to work on getting the babies back to the breast when you have the energy to do that - and when your body isn't fighting for toilet time while you are doing it.

I hope you are feeling better soon. Being sick when your babies are so new has got to be horrible.

peace...

· Registered
46 Posts
Oh God, 10 day old twins and the flu? I feel for you. That would not be fun at all. I hope you have lots of help and support around for you right now.

I had to pump and fingerfeed as well for the first week, so I can understand how hard that is too. Way to go for hanging in here!! You can do it!

Is there anyway you can try nursing laying down? I remember I learned how to do that in the hospital, and I have small bbs which I think made it more difficult, but we still got the hang of it. If sitting up when nursing is what is making you sick, try that instead!

or if you can't do that, could you pump laying down on your side and feed them that milk? I'm unsure as to why you think you need to supplement with formula or donor BM, maybe i read your post wrong. Sounds like you have plenty of milk and just need to get it out without feeling sick. Heck, this is gross, but I think I would rather BF them with a bucket over my face to catch the puke than have to worry about formula (measuring, mixing, steralizing, etc).

Good luck!!! This too shall pass!

· Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Hey, congrats on your babies and so sorry you're ill. Your stomach bug is not a "flu" so to speak but most likely a virus unless you ate something that didn't agree with you. Whatever the case, you can certainly BF IF tolerable. Are you vomiting or is it coming out the other end? With 10 day old babies, I would really try to avoid bottles as much as possible even though I know you are using them a bit now. The babies are still learning how to nurse and you don't want to jeopardize your nursing relationship.

Having said that, do what you can to get through this bout of illness and take good care of yourself. Lots of fluids and try to eat what you can, even just a little. Take whatever help you can get and rest, even closing your eyes for a few minutes helps.
Know that you should feel better in the next day or so, just hang in there!

· Registered
666 Posts
MilkShare!!! its a great website/group of mamas who donate milk or receive milk from each other when needed. There are NO fees other than shipping if necessary and maybe reimbursement of storage bags. I personally donate there but lots of mama's also ask for milk there and do receive it
I don't know where you are but I have a small stash I could share if it wouldn't take too long to get to you. Here is the group:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/MilkShare/

· Registered
46 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdmommie View Post
MilkShare!!! its a great website/group of mamas who donate milk or receive milk from each other when needed. There are NO fees other than shipping if necessary and maybe reimbursement of storage bags. I personally donate there but lots of mama's also ask for milk there and do receive it
I don't know where you are but I have a small stash I could share if it wouldn't take too long to get to you. Here is the group:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/MilkShare/
Very cool!

How do you ship it without it thawing? If it's not frozen, how do you keep it cold that whold time?

· Registered
816 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post
Dry ice, I believe. And overnight express shipping.
Yes, that is how to keep the breastmilk from thawing out. It's not cheap, but oh so worth it.

peace...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.