Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a quick question that I don't know the answer to. I'm nursing my 14 month old who has come down iwth some sort of goopy, red eye problem(might be pink eye?). I'd LIKE to put some ebm in her eyes to lubricate them and combat the redness and irritation and pain that she's having but we have thrush. If I hand express some milk and put it in her eye, will she get a yeast infection in her eye? We just started treating today so it's definitely not even begun to be under control yet. I also have no pumped milk stored at this point that I can thaw for her.<br><br>
Meg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes! I haven't been on the site in so long, and I just happen to have gotten on (going on 6 years of bf three girls- 2 years each! I am TIRED!)<br><br>
And I saw your post. Your intuition is right on. Even my pediatrician advocated the old "milk in the eye". I just sprayed it directly into my first child's eye when she was having a similar problem. You milk has wonderful properties that fight infection, and your milk will hopefully resolve the infection (as long as it isn't super infected ie it has been going on a long time- then you might have to take other action. As for yeast- I really do not think that would be an issue.<br>
My husband is indigenous from Ecuador and my sister in law has told me that women traditionally used breast milk for many different things- up the nose to get dried mucous out. And even on their faces for beauty purposes.<br><br>
So spray away!

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Don't do it! Someone posted a month or so ago that she got yeast infection in her eye because she put bm there.<br><br>
Kara

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thrush is a yeast infection. Now that I re-read your message I see that you too have thrush. So you have itching red burning around your aereola? I suppose if you have a yeast problem you may pass it to the eyes of your child. What I am unsure of is if the yeast problem relates only to your child's mouth and your breast, or if it is passed in the milk as well. That would be a good question for a midwife or possibly LLL.<br><br>
But your milk still does contain wonderful healing properties. If you did do it I would be careful to have the milk going in baby's eye avoid contact with your skin. If she has thrush the infection in her eye may well be caused because of the yeast, as a yeast infection, or candida, can be present in any part of the body.<br><br>
I would do some research if I were you, and good luck to you. You may find that the eye problem clears with the treatment of trush.<br><br>
Also, I have used a homeopathic remedy for candida- worth a try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts