Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seems every night I wake up to my (22 month old) toddler banging his back (rocking) or a foot on his crib. It's usually his back. I can't get him to fight this habit of almost a year now. I'm so tired of hearing it and waking everyone up and hopes he isn't hurting himself. He's smart, there's no signs of autism or strange jesters and his doctor says he's perfect. I just think it's an annoying stage that won't stop. I've tried toys in his bed, some scolding tactics ("No, No" and "Ouchy, that hurts, no."), and laying him back down to rub his back or getting him out for a drink. Also, he sleep with a blanket and is a thumb sucker, and doesn't sleep all night unless he's not feeling well.

Has anyone else have this problem? It must be comforting, but how to kick the habit?

Any suggestions...I'm about to loose my mind?

·
Registered
10,958 Posts
First of all, sending you a cyber hug. I can tell you are trying to come up with solutions. And they all sound thoughtful.

I'm wondering if he is seeking pressure. If so do you think a massage, maybe more intense than light touch, would help?

Tracy

·
Premium Member
9,652 Posts
Kids at this age sometimes transition out of a crib to a toddler bed or twin mattress on the floor. Maybe childproof his room as much as possible and put a baby gate at the door. Without the crib to "rail against" he may simply drop the behavior.

I agree that troubling gestures are difficult to deal with but keep calm and just try to downplay them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.