Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 5 months after ds3 was born I had my belly button pierced, over 2 years ago now. All of a sudden in this pregnancy I am reacting to all of my belly jewlery and have a low grade infection at the piercing site. I have re-cleaned everything, but it has not helped. I have been pregnant many times and my belly button is nowhere near too tight for the jewlery, I would like to resolve whatever the issue and keep my jewlery in a while longer.
Anyone else having a problem with this? Have any ideas??

· Premium Member
13,827 Posts
you may have an allergy to the metal used or just increased sensitivity due to the pregnancy (pregnancy can do crazy things to us!)

some women as they get too large use fishing line through the hole to keep it open, if you are reacting to the metal I don't think fishing line would get the same reaction...

· Registered
342 Posts
I feel your pain and itchiness - I can't wear my white gold wedding ring due to some sort of dermatitis caused by this pregnancy. Can you switch to something plastic? I know that for tongues and noses they make nude fill-ins so you can keep your piercings under the radar - maybe something like that is what you need.
Here is a link to such a product, and if you do a search you'll find a lot. http://www.funkytownmall.com/Acrylic...s-cP-1287.html

· Registered
1,323 Posts
When I was pregnant with DD, I had problems with my belly button peircing. It felt itchy and infected all the time, and I actually got a little star of streach marks around it. I ended up taking it out around 6 months, and put some fishing line in. The fishing line only lasted about a week because it drove me nuts, so I just took it out. After her birth, I discovered that the very middle of the peircing healed shut, and I haven't ever gotten around to redoing the piercing. I might after this one arrives, because I do miss it! I never had other specific problems with my other peircings, although my skin in general during pregnancy becomes very dry and prone to eczema.

· Registered
71 Posts
Funny you should bring this up....in the first trimester I started having similar reaction to my belly button rings. I thought I had good jewelry but apparently not. I went to an expert piercer (check this guy out: http://www.nomadmuseum.com/bio.html)
and he told me that most jewelry will have some metal mixed in it that will create a reaction in preg and that I need a pregnancy bar cut long and with balls ($30). I've had it in the whole time with no trouble (35 wks now). He told me to come back in the 3rd tri if I needed it resized or anything. It was getting a little (very little compaired to 1st tri) red at the top piercing so I stopped by yesterday and he said it looked fine, the red was actually from the hole skin stretching not the piercing itself and that I should be good until the end. I had plastic recommended to me as well and the look of horror on this guys face when I told him that was enough to tell me that was not a good idea--he said it's too rigid. Whereas the bars could be manually angeled. I've heard of people using fishing line but like lunarlady mentioned it can drive people crazy. Good luck! Hope this info is helpful.

· Registered
1,807 Posts
At about 20 weeks, all my jewelery started to make me break out. I had this lovely line of bumpy rash around my neck from my gold locket that has never EVER caused any trouble! So I took everything out for a week, everything healed up and I started to wear my earrings, wedding rings and necklace. Haven't had any troubles in the last two months. Could just be temporary

· Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizzylizzy View Post
he said it's too rigid. Whereas the bars could be manually angeled.
he lost all credibility right there.

its easier to reshape the plastic ones (Ive done it myself thanks to my brother who worked in a piercing/tattoo shop showing me a quick and easy way to heat it up enough to do) and even before you reshape them they bend unlike metal which does not bend at all and takes a LOT of work by a professional to reshape.

Just sounds like he wants more business.

· Registered
118 Posts
There are surgical grade tubing belly rings on Ebay for pregnancy. Pretty easy to find. I have one for this pregnancy. Last time, I used the type of dental floss thats the plastic silky kind. It was soft enough not to bug me or irritate any skin and easy to clean and replace. It worked much better than fishing line because the tied ends of the fishing line kept poking and bugging me. Ill let you know how the surgical tubing one works. It's nice and flexible and squishy so I have high hopes for it.

HTH

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.