Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw on another thread that you can boil new hemp prefolds/inserts to get the oils out instead of washing them over and over again. How long do you boil them? Soap or no soap? What about drying? I've washed my new hemp prefolds once in cold water with some other laundry, but would like to get them in my rotation without having to worry about messing up my other diapers...

·
Registered
511 Posts
When boiling hemp to get rid of build-up and funky odors, the directions I've seen say to boil inserts/prefolds for 5 minutes. When boiling hemp/unbleached cotton to break it in, the directions I've seen say to boil inserts/prefolds for 20 minutes. I'd do it in a large stock pot with plenty of water and no detergent. Here are some instructions from Hanna Organics:<br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;"><i>New diapers must be washed a few times before first use to reach full absorbency. Our white DSQ prefolds and white fitted diapers need 2 washes for absorbency before first use, and our untreated DSQ prefolds, organic prefolds, and untreated hemp/cotton and organic fitted diapers need at least 5 washes before using. Please use hot water for our untreated and organic diapers to remove the natural water-resistant oils still present in the cotton. Here are some suggestions:<br><br>
Turn up your water heater for a few washes or add boiling water to your washer to raise the water temperature.<br><br>
Boil the diapers on your stove. We recommend boiling the diapers about 20 minutes to help remove the natural oils..<br><br>
The number of washes required to remove the natural oils depends on the quality of your water--the softer your water the more washes needed--and your water temperature. One thing is guaranteed--the natural oils will always come out of the diapers.<br><br>
If you are having leaks and your cloth diaper is only wet in some areas and not all over, wash the diapers in hot water with detergent a few more times.</i></td>
</tr></table></div>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts