Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...tion-headlines

Yeah, I remember all the days N.A. students could express their heritage: football game days when students could paint their faces, trying out for position of mascot for the school team named the Braves, Chiefs, Warriors, Indians etc, and on Thanksgiving when the rest of the school was making headdresses and saying "how."

Asking to have your heritage recognized at a school graduation is ridiculous. Who cares if the tie isn't even noticeable under the gown?! This kid is cracked to think he should be allowed such a direct violation of graduation dress code.

Bolo tie a real tie? Not even close.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Quote:
The bolo "was not considered by staff to be a tie," said Katie O'Malley-Simpson, a spokeswoman for Charles County schools. "We have many opportunities throughout the year to express cultural heritage. But we don't do that at graduation."

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
If it were me, I'd say screw it. You don't need the diploma. They can't deny you the right to call yourself "graduated". You don't take your diploma to college, you take the address of your high school office for transcripts.
them and their "meeting"...

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Does it matter that much if he wore a tie or not or what kind? It sucks how they make such a big deal out of these things. I don't think anyone else gives a crap what the students wear. Aren't they the ones being honored after all?

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Public Schools are there to teach kids how to CONFORM.

Obviously, they failed to teach this young man, and so he doesn't get his diploma.
Makes sense to me.

I grew up a few miles from there. There are very, very few NA people in that area.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Kate, *sigh* this isn't the only school that doesn't have anything better to worry about. Let me tell you about some schools just about 30 minutes south of you...

I had a vice principal, let's call him Mr. Butthead, with whom I butted heads constantly. He *hated* my family, because my Dad would stand up for me when it counted. After I graduated, he transferred to another school to be principal.

A couple years after I graduated while I was in college, my parents took in a friend of my brother. They raised him for several years, and he became like a little brother to me and my sister. He left our family in his senior year to live on his own, and attended a different high school... coincidentally, the school that Mr. Butthead now headed up.

Mr. Butthead would not let him walk in graduation because Little Bro couldn't afford to buy a new pair of shoes in the designated color. He struggled *so* hard to get to that point, he had so much to be proud of, he more than any other student in that school deserved to be walking down the aisle... and he couldn't because of a pair of shoes. Unfortunately, he didn't tell us about it until it was too late because he was so embarrassed.

There are so many reasons why I plan to homeschool...

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, Tara, that's so awful. This stuff drives me crazy cause when it works it preys on humiliation - a day that your little bro had every right to be proud for is taken away because of shoe colour. It blows my mind. And I can remember being a teen that struggled and I would rather have internalized the message the school was giving me (the classism in the case of the shoes) than have to go to a family that had already done so much for me and admit I needed shoes I couldn't afford in order to get my diploma. It thrives on the "otherness" that so many teens feel whether it's because of class, race, being GLBT, gender, etc.

What is the matter with people who go into school admin? It just seems to be full of unthinking and unfeeling dictators, with no ability to see beyond the insanity of fighting over t-shirts, ties, shoes etc.

Couple that with a dose of plain 'ol racism and you have a kid denied the public recognition of being handed a diploma in front of his community. That speaks volumes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts