Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to try making beef broth, but every recipe I've seen calls for meaty bones. The only bones I have are labelled soup bones, but have no meat on them. Will these work? Do I need to do anything different if I'm not using meaty bones?

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
They'll work fine. You really don't need the meat for bone broth- most of the flavor (and nutriton) comes from the bones themselves. I've used chicken carcasses with no meat whatsoever left and the broth still came out yummy.

·
Registered
404 Posts
yep yep... and I would roast the bones for more flavor. I am guessing you have beef bones??

Anyway... when I make broth, I roast the bones along with the onion, carrot, garlic and celery that I am going to use in the broth. For chicken bones, I roast the bones for about an hour at 350 till darkened abit. Makes the chicken broth almost as dark as beef broth! Beef bones, I would do the same with only roast a while longer.

hth!

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pnutS4us View Post
yep yep... and I would roast the bones for more flavor.
Curious if you roast only for flavor, or is there added nutritional value with roasting? What about with the vegetables?

Thanks,

Pat

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Curious if you roast only for flavor, or is there added nutritional value with roasting? What about with the vegetables?
Interesting... never thought about it like that. So far as I know roasting doesn't alter the nutritional value, but I know it alters the flavor a lot. Broth made with raw beef bones can be rather weak in flavor, a bit one-dimensional. But with roasted bones you open up a whole bunch of other flavors.

To the OP - When I make buffalo stock, I'm usually using rib bones that we've cleaned of all meat. It still turns out fabulous.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.