Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I'm sure if this is in the right place. I debated about posting here or the Mindful Home Management. I could see
OK, so a few years ago my parents buy us a Tilia Foodsaver. Whilst I 'twas not thrilled with the disposable plastic bags, it became a great device for buying in bulk and freezing (plus we reused the bags as much as possible)-esp. since we live in the boonies, garden, and try to take advantage of good buys on fruits/veggies/fish etc. when we go to the "big city." Anyway, so, the gasket on the sealer breaks. So today I call Tilia and ask for a replacement, and found they don't make replacement parts for this particular model (a Vac800). I was peeved beyond belief. She offered a discount on a new FoodSaver (which IS a pretty good deal). I said I would think about it and asked her what I should do with this Foodsaver. She replied that I should just throw it away!!
I said, "You want me to throw away a perfectly good appliance that I have had for only a few years into the landfill?! What a waste!!"
She had no reply, only repeated that they could send me a replacement.

So here are my questions:
1) Should I get a new FoodSaver, or does anyone have a better idea for bulk freezing?
2) What in God's Green Earth do I do with THIS Foodsaver?! Ideas?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Don't hardware stores sell gaskets of just about every size? Take the old broken one in - or take it to an appliance maintenance store.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I say gasket I don't mean what we usually think of as gasket. I guess I should have explained more. What Tilia means by "gasket" is actually a foam thingy that sits in the Foodsaver. It helps create the seal-I was calling it a seal until I was corrected by the Tilia people.

Anyway, my dad looked at it, and we're going to try to glue it together and see if that works. He thought we might be able to create our own gasket if that doesn't work. But he lives four states away, so I don't know if it will work. And I have green beans that need to be frozen, and other stuff will be soon. I'll let you guys know. I'm still interested in more eco-friendly ways of freezing. I guess it's about as friendly as I might get. I mean, you buy some frozen veggies at the store, you end up with trash at one point or another. I don't know.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I'd take the replacement and then offer the broken one on Freecycle. There may be someone who would be able to take it and fix it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do--I'll see if someone on Freecycle wants it before I get the replacement. Thanks guys! I'm also writing a letter to Tilia complaining about their indifference to waste.

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
I just freeze everything in ziplock bags. Yes, sometimes things get a little freezer burned, but it's not a big deal to me.

I'm currently defrosting my chest freezer, and found 4 bags of rhubarb from LAST spring (2005). 2 of the bags looked perfect, and 2 of them had ice crystals inside. Not too bad, for ziplock bags.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I use a foodsaver but never use the plastic bags anymore. I go the modle with an accessory hose and the wide mouth jar sealer and use it to seal my 1/2 gallon and other jars. I keep all my bulk foods that way. Most of them are in my pantry but here is a pic of a few on my counter: Vacuum Jar Pic

Deb

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvons
I use a foodsaver but never use the plastic bags anymore. I go the modle with an accessory hose and the wide mouth jar sealer and use it to seal my 1/2 gallon and other jars. I keep all my bulk foods that way. Most of them are in my pantry but here is a pic of a few on my counter: Vacuum Jar Pic

Deb
I do that too- which is one reason I would prefer to get it replaced. But I do like to freeze food also, and let's face it, glass jars just doesn't do it for most things (I have an image of broccoli stuffed into a jar
)

Anyway, thanks for all your ideas. I think we'll go with the replacement, see if anyone wants it on freecycle and take it from there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts