Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boo's been holding his poops. He's not holding to the point of constipation--they're still soft when he finally poops. He typically holds his poo for about 3 days. When he needs to poop, he yells and hits his diaper. And you can tell that he needs to go, but he just holds it in. He's not in pain when he poops. I think he's embarrassed about pooping? but i'm not entirely sure. I've read that some kids hold their poop as a way of gaining control over their lives, but i dont think that's it either. Boo has a lot of freedom and a lot of control over what goes on in his life already. When he was 3 mos old, he had an anal fissure from the explosive poops that he had then. There's no evidence of any kind of fissure or anything like that now though.

The conventional treatment (?) is to give laxatives until the poor little guy cant hold his poops at all, so that he's having 3 or 4 loose runny bm's a day. And to keep giving the laxatives for months on end.
! Anyways, i dont want to do that to him. It seems way too coercive to me. And he's not constipated at all, either, so it seems too extreme.

I give him prunes, though. And he eats fruit everyday. He drinks plenty of water and breastmilk. He doesnt really eat veggies right now, so he's probably not getting as much fiber as he could be getting, but i dont think that's the problem. He gets plenty of exercise too.

We talk about pooping a fair amount. He really likes reading potty books. We talk about how everyone poops, even the cat. Basically, we try to help him understand that pooping is normal and it's something that everyone does. But we try not to overdo it either.

He wears diapers, but has a potty available. He likes to pee in the potty first thing in the morning sometimes. There's absolutely no pressure on him to use the potty though.

I'm not really sure what else to do for him. He gets so uncomfortable and so antsy when he's holding a poo. He's napping right now, but this morning was tough. He's really working hard at keeping this poop in right now.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Darshani, thanks for all of your input! If boo ever starts to get constipated from holding his poops too long, we'll definitely have to try out some of your suggestions. I'm really hoping that we can turn things around before we get to that point though.

I liked what you said about parental attitudes towards pooping being a big factor. I'm sure that with boo, the problem is psychological. I almost wish it was just a medical problem-- that would be easier to deal with.

Last night, after boo had his poop, we used some really upbeat, positive describers...like, What a nice big juicy poop! LOL!! I also realized that i've told boo not to touch his poop a LOT lately too, so i'm sure that's not helping either. He might think that there's something wrong with pooping if it's something that we're not supposed to touch. At this point, if he wants to inspect his poop, i'll just make sure his hands get washed really well when he's done. He hasnt wanted to touch his poop yet, but, i think that just knowing that he could if he wanted to helped. He seemed almost relieved, and definitely relaxed a lot when i told him if he wanted to touch his poo it was okay. I"m sure that's probably wtmi by now!!! LOL!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.