Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 year old (SPD, possible ASD) has this habit of approaching anyone and everyone, giving them too much personal information (name, phone number, address, DOB, etc.), and trusting them completely. Because he has introduced himself and is talking to them, they're no longer strangers in his mind. I'd like for him to learn to stop giving so much information, and to stop trusting everyone (and to stop following them home, etc.). I've tried discussions on safety, being more wary of strangers, and so on - but nothing seems to work for long. I've read Protecting the Gift, but it doesn't seem especially helpful for my particular son. I took him to a radKids class, in the hopes that he'd learn something useful there, but we're never going back - it was entirely inappropriate material for young children.

Are there any books or methods that work for children with these types of behaviors? Any recommendations? He'll be 7 soon, and is becoming more and more independent - running off to play with his friends where I can't easily see him from home. I'd like to be able to trust that he'll take more care in his interactions.

Thank you!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Chris use to do that- he'd walk up to strangers and say "Hello, my name is Christopher, what's your name? I'm three. Do you like my hair cut?" Occassionally he'd add a sentence of two- like "I smell your feet!"

Oh yes, fun times with Autism...

He outgrew it- I'm not sure why, but one day he just stopped. He still doesn't know a stranger, but seems to be more wary than he use to be. I would suggest role playing social situations with your ds. Teach him to say things like "hello, how are you?" instead of giving out his entire life history
. I used roleplaying to teach C to answer questions like "How are you" etc. It helped. Your son might just need some training in how to be appropriately social- it sounds like he follows a script, so if you can replace that script with different words he may just improve.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Does your little guy like movies? I'm wondering if video modeling would be a help - take a camera and record a short skit showing or explaining and showing how to interact with strangers. The idea is that if the child watches it several times, re-enacts bits with you and rehearses it may stick better than just the role play. When dd was struggling with how to greet people appropriately it was a huge help - somehow the movie made things click for her.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.