Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am off to Borders to pick up a book or two for our vacation next week.

What books would you highly recomend that deal with homebirth/natural birth?

I have and have already read Having a Baby Naturally, but anything else is game!

Many Thanks!

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
A fun read, IME, would be Baby Catcher by Peggy Vincent. She's a mw in Berkeley, CA. It chronicles her experience from L&D to homebirth mw.

Can I come with you???? I really need a vacation.....

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I really like Immaculate Deception II: Myth, Magic and Birth. I think many of the birth stories at the end are wonderful.

Birthing From Within is good, IMO, if you have had a previous negative experience. The artsy stuff is not for everyone, but I do think there are several great sections for examining your feelings, beliefs, worries...

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
This may be out of the realm of what you are looking for but a great piece of historical fiction about birth/midwifery/female community is The Red Tent. I don't remember the author but it was a really great book.

Enjoy your vacation!

Jenne

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I also love Baby Catcher.
Ina May's guide to Childbirth has a lot of great birth stories.
Heart and Hands, which is how to be a midwife type of book is good.
In Labor by Barbara Katz Rothman is an older book that is very interesting, more academic than the others
A Midwife's Story is another great midwife chronicle
A Good Birth, a Safe Birth and The Thinking Woman's Guide are also good reads.
I'm a birth book junky, myself, and hope somebody will post some good books I haven't read, so I can check them out myself!

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Birth as an American Rite of Passage by Robbie Davis-Floyd is one of my all-time favorites. It's an anthropological look at birth and the opposing viewpoints (techonology vs. holistic) of pregnancy/birth. It is absolutely fascinating (although some of it is on the academic side--there's plenty of stuff for us lay folk). There are lots of mothers' stories and a completely engrossing chapter on medical school/training which was eye opening.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
These are my 2 favorites:

The Natural Pregnancy Book: Herbs, Nutrition and Other Holistic Choices - Aviva Jill Romm

and the best...

The Complete Book of Pregnancy & Childbirth - Sheila Kitzinger

I love many, many more, but these are one I buy regularly for gifts.

Enjoy your vacation!

Olivia

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Oh, a vacation!!! With time to read!!! I WEEP at the thought . . .

I love this question - I'm a birth book junkie, too.

Aviva Jill Romm's Natural Pregnancy Book is one of my favorites.

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth is just essential!

Gentle Birth Choices by Barbara Harper is on my bedside table now.

Peggy Vincent's Baby Catcher is great, fast reading.

Henci Goer's Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth provides plenty of ammunition for those who face homebirth opposition.

Susan McCutcheon's Natural Childbirth, the Bradley Way

Happy reading! I lent my Ina May's Guide to Childbirth out to my Mom. And I miss it. I may have to go find another copy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.