Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend any good books on how to parent successfully after a divorce? Elijah's dad and I have a big fight every few weeks, and it just exhausts me. We are doing pretty well, agree on most things when it come to Elijah, but we still fight in the same way we fought when we were married, and it is always about a misunderstanding. Or, he threatens me financially (I have a successful business that he did not try to take any of, and so he has that to hold over my head.) I am just stressed out about it all the time, and feel like at any moment he could steal everything away from me. If I submit to what he wants (being okay with him being late all the time and cancelling) then everything is fine. But as soon as I object, he says I need to pay him x amount of money. legal separation papers are in the works, so that should not be an issue soon, but even after that, I would love to have a good relationship with him.

Does anyone know of any books that have instructions or exercises we could do to parent better together?

Thanks mamas!
Stacey

·
Registered
927 Posts
Great question.

Running out the door, so will be quick.

Mom's House, Dad's House
The truth about children and divorce
Helping Children cope with divorce
Good parenting through your divorce

Now none of them specifically focus on co-parenting exercises, but if you both read one of more of them together and meet to dicuss them, that might work.

Around here we have something called PEP (Parent Encouragement Program) that has very effective classes. One of my goals is to have my stbx and I take one together.

We have similar tensions and rare blow ups -- mostly because there is so much hostility under the surface on his part and so much anger on mine because I think he is letting us all down with his actions. And he, too, is late -- just tonight in fact -- I had to drive the kids to soccer and drive back because he was so late -- used up a precious 1/2 hour of study time. I just note it in a log I keep for future reference, iykwim.

GL.

M

·
Registered
935 Posts
Don't laugh, but "Mister Rogers Talks With Families About Divorce" actually was really helpful to me.

Oh, and totally OT, Spring Sun, I really like your slings. I may be ordering one as a baby gift for a friend in the next couple of months.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
"Joint Custody with a Jerk" helped me a LOT. It sounds humorous, but it's not. It has a really good approach to figuring out how to deal with problems. It shows you how to figure out who's got the problem and how they need to go about fixing it.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by karen ann View Post
Don't laugh, but "Mister Rogers Talks With Families About Divorce" actually was really helpful to me.

Oh, and totally OT, Spring Sun, I really like your slings. I may be ordering one as a baby gift for a friend in the next couple of months.
Thanks mama! That is nice
As a single mom I am very lucky that I started the business at all since it now supports me while I stay home with ds.

Thanks for all the book suggestions! I am totally going to buy the Jerk one. And the Mr. Rogers one

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by woo27ks View Post
Love this book!

"Ex- Etiquette For Parents"- Jann Blackstone-Ford

I also like the website -

http://www.bonusfamilies.com/index.php

I also find counseling helps me to create the life I want for myself and my dc.
Ex-Etiquette was really, really helpful for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.