Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could you all suggest some good books about moving? We're about a month away from moving from Az to Ks, and every time I think DD (almost 4) is ok with it, she asks me again if we have to move. She just seems worried about the whole thing (and who can blame her?).

So any book recc's and/or other tips/suggestions for making this move easier for her would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Hey! I just posted on your thread about car trips!! Where are you moving from and to? We used to live in Tucson and moved to Wichita. We recently moved again to San Antonio. Do you guys have movers or are you doing the move yourself? Big moving companies usually have coloring books about moving to a new city, but I've never found one anywhere else. The kids books I could find about moving were about moving to a new house in the same city and kept reassuring the child that they would still be able to see their old friends -- not at all an appropriate thing to tell a child moving crosscounty.

Have you been able to visit your new city? Are you moving straight into where you will be living or are you going into temp housing? Why are you moving? Are there cool things in your new city that your Dd will be excited about? We visit web sites for things like the zoo, children's museum, etc and talk about what fun it will be to explore new places.

I try to stay upbeat about the move in front of my kids. I hate it and find it stressful, but they pick up so much on my feelings that if I TRY to be positive, they have a much easier time. I save conversations with my DH that they might find unsettling for when they aren't in the room. I think kids like to feel that their parents have things under control.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts