Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about going UC but I haven't decided. There's no rush because I'm still WTT but if I go the UC route I want to know as much as possible.

What books do I need to put on my reading list?

So far I have

Emergency Childbirth: A Manual
Unassisted Homebirth: An Act of Love
Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year

And a few Christian-related books but I'm more interested in the medical side of things. That's the type of info I need to process.

Any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Heart and Hands by Elisabeth Davis is an excellent resource (designed for both midwives and parents). It includes details about the normal course of labor as well as complications, how to spot them, and how to deal with them.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Quote:
Is that like Heart & Hands? Or is it something different?

I am currently planning on UCing, and it seems that alot of books are missing the whole 'if you see this, this is what's happening, this is what you should do'. I'm looking for those type, I know I want to UC, and I don't really need anymore inspiration to do so.

·
Banned
4,712 Posts
I don't know if it's UC minded enough, and I know some people feel she's a bit too interventive, but I really enjoyed Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin. It had a profound effect on me. I was really afraid of birth before I read it.

I heard The Red Tent is awesome, I want to read that one. Also Larua Shanley (the ultimate UC goddess
) wrote a book called, not surprisingly, Unassisted Childbirth. I bet it's a good one as well.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Unassisted Homebirth: An Act of Love

that's the one I REALLY wanted but for some reason never got around to buying... I wish I had!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Veronika Robinson, publisher of the UK magazine The Mother, just wrote a lovely book about UC. It's available on Amazon and elsewhere. Here is the description posted on Amazon:

The Birthkeepers is a personal invitation to birthing with ecstasy. Veronika Robinson, editor of The Mother magazine, reveals the three secrets to easy, natural vaginal birth. Through examining childbirth history ~ our evolutionary blueprint ~ and reading stories from modern day birthkeepers, we can begin to reclaim an ancient birthing tradition, and make birth safe and sacred again. Despite a dominant birth culture and media images which portray birth as deeply traumatic, painful, deadly and dangerous, this isn't how evolution designed our entry into motherhood. How we give birth, and the experience we haev, isn't just a matter of luck or having the best medical attendants. We can all choose to give birth in peace, painlessly, and with pleasure. This exploration of unobserved (unassisted) childbirth shows that what's good for the birthing mother, is also good for the baby arriving birthside. The Birthkeepers is the first UK book on unassisted childbirth.

Laura (a.k.a. the goddess
)

·
Registered
904 Posts
Birth and the Dialogue of Love-out of print, but if you can find it good!

I would also like to recommend Ina May Gaskin books.

Birth and Breastfeeding by Odent isn't necessarily for UC, but I thought it was a good read.

~~~~~~~~

While I'm here, I'd like to take a moment to bow down to Laura Shanley.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The book "Childbirth without Fear: The Principles and Practice of Natural Childbirth" by Dr. Grantley Dick-Read really helped make me strong!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by laurashanley View Post
Veronika Robinson, publisher of the UK magazine The Mother, just wrote a lovely book about UC. It's available on Amazon and elsewhere. Here is the description posted on Amazon:

The Birthkeepers is a personal invitation to birthing with ecstasy. Veronika Robinson, editor of The Mother magazine, reveals the three secrets to easy, natural vaginal birth. Through examining childbirth history ~ our evolutionary blueprint ~ and reading stories from modern day birthkeepers, we can begin to reclaim an ancient birthing tradition, and make birth safe and sacred again. Despite a dominant birth culture and media images which portray birth as deeply traumatic, painful, deadly and dangerous, this isn't how evolution designed our entry into motherhood. How we give birth, and the experience we haev, isn't just a matter of luck or having the best medical attendants. We can all choose to give birth in peace, painlessly, and with pleasure. This exploration of unobserved (unassisted) childbirth shows that what's good for the birthing mother, is also good for the baby arriving birthside. The Birthkeepers is the first UK book on unassisted childbirth.

Have just ordered this one - can't wait to read it. You can order it direct from the Mother website.

Laura - have your book, i brought it this time round, veronika lent me a copy last time. It led me to read some Seth books and other life changing books which have made my life more of an adventure - so i wanted to say 'thank you' and third the UC Goddess comment - you are a hero!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
I don't know if it's UC minded enough, and I know some people feel she's a bit too interventive, but I really enjoyed Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin. It had a profound effect on me. I was really afraid of birth before I read it.
I second Spiritual Midwifery. I think that's the one that walks you through checking the newborn, right? That part really helped me to feel more confident about really knowing what I was doing after the birth.

I do like Ina May Gaskin's books, but there's no flipping way I would want her anywhere near me if I was in labor!

The Power of Pleasurable Childbirth was a pretty good one; for me it was more of an inspiration during my first UP/UC, as opposed to informational, but still worth reading.

And Laura, I really admire you and everything you've done for UC! Your book is invaluable.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by laurashanley View Post
Makes up for all the "you're crazy and stupid" letters that are coming my way these days!

Laura

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.