Mothering Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going through all my books, dumping all the ones where the info I need is on the internet (microbiology), too outdated (test prep or politics), never re-read (paperbacks I bought in airports), or not a good reference (about half the syllabus books for midwifery school).<br><br>
I'd like to recycle the ones that are garbage (outdated texts and a few moldery ones). Can I just put them in curbside recycling like phone books?<br><br>
Is there an easy way to know which books have $$ value? There are a few current edition texts and classic books that I suspect still have enough value to be worth shipping. But I bet most of the books should be donated to a charity that does $0.25 cent book sales. Any favorite websites? Personal experiences?<br><br>
It was so freeing to realize that I don't need to keep the books to prove I've read them or that I R SMRT or something. I'm keeping about 10% of the books I used to own. It feels so Light.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Search this subgroup for a thread about someone selling books online...she made a pretty penny for what she had. You could also try a store like half price books to sell them for. I would also check amazon or ebay to get a comparable price to sell.<br><br>
Books are hard to get rid of & congrats for doing it.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
There is a online place that you can look up the books number and it will tell you if they will buy the book and what they will pay. I'll google it, if I find it I'll come back and link.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've used <a href="http://www.webuyyourbooks.com" target="_blank">www.webuyyourbooks.com</a> with some success. I also trade for credit at a used bookstore and then donate the leftovers to the library book sale.

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much all of you! I'm checking out that link now, Penuche.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I've sold a few books on Amazon too. They take a cut, but you can't set the price and you get something for shipping. I forget the exact details.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Our recycling takes them.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I made good money selling off my used texts and references on Amazon. I gave up after getting burned a few times by buers, but did pretty well. Current texts were sold on eBay/Half if not Amazon. Shipping allowance was always 3.99/6.99 and I got to set the price I would accept.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have had great success with half.com Also some charities have a big dumpster like container for books only. They get money for giving them to some kind of used book distributer.

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
When I cleaned out my old room I just donated all the books I didn't want to the goodwill. I probably should have at least taken them to the used bookstore first, but honestly, I forgot about it to begin with, and besides, goodwill's just 15 minutes away, bookstores 30...

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have run about 50% of my unneeded books through half.com. I decided it wasn't worth my time for any book selling for less than $2.<br>
I saved out the 10% that were selling. I've made about $100 so far with 10 sales. Woot! The rest are going to the library sale.<br>
It's quite easy since I use paypal to print a label and my husband drops it in the blue box on the way to work (he walks past a box). It's okay to ship even heavy packages in the box because they aren't stamped (which has a 13 oz. limit). I'm making money on shipping, even, as I get about $1 over shipping costs to cover envelopes and tape.<br>
The other options just weren't paying enough to make it worthwhile to pack up. Maybe if I had more current textbooks. I sure wish half.com was around when I was in college - I'd have made way more money on buybacks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts