Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I was thinking that it would be helpful to keep track of reading recommendations on a separtate thread. It seems like I keep meaning to write down and look for some of the books that are mentioned in our happy chatty threads.... but then I forget to do it right away and then.... well, it's too late.

Please share any books, articles, websites... etc that you think of!
so here goes!

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
-great birth stories, less trippy / hippie than the original.

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
Oh, I've got lots of 'em!

The Scientification of Love, Michel Odent, MD
The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, Henci Goer
Prenatal Yoga and Natural Childbirth, Jeannine Parvati Baker
Pleasurable Husband/Wife Childbirth, Marilyn Moran
Birthing From Within, Pam England (with a few reservations)
Spiritual Midwifery, Ina May Gaskin (with a few reservations)
Emergency Childbirth, Gregory White, MD

Not really about preparing for birth, but still on the list for reading while pregnant:

The Continuum Concept, Jean Liedloff
Magical Child, Joseph Chilton Pearce
Midwives, Chris Bohjalian (fiction)
The Red Tent, Anita Diamant (fiction)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Oh, darn, I've got contractors laying grout in the basement where my library is, so I have to go by memory. There's another one similar to A Thinking Woman's Guide that is also good. I'd say complimentary. Oh! Its called A Good Birth, A Safe Birth.

All the Sears and Sears stuff is good, and The Birth Partner is awesome, especially for spouses/SO's, but really informative for mom-to-be, too.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Not sure if these have been mentioned yet, but:

Immaculate Deception II: Myth, Magic and Birth
and

Birth as an American Rite of Passage

are both very informative. I.M. II has great birth stories!

Giving Birth by C. Taylor describes 1 womans experiences (very different births) with a hospital CNM birth and homebirth with a CPM. Its interesting, as is Woman In Residence by M. Harrison. W.I.R. is about a woman trying to make it through residency to become an OB and what she experiences throughout.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I've enjoyed reading:

Ina May's Guide...
Birthing From Within-Pam England
Spiritual Midwifery
Prenatal Yoga and Natural Childbirth-Jeannine Parvati Baker
Bountiful, Beautiful, Blissful-Gurmukh (though, I'm not much into some of her meditations/singing)
Also, I've used the Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth-Shelia Kitzinger and The Pregnancy Book-Sears

Fun reads:
The Baby Catcher-Peggy Vincent (stories of a midwife)
Mother's Nature-Andrea Gosline (this is a compilation of poems, quotes, traditions, and stories about pregnancy, birth, and mothering--my dh gave it to me on Mother's Day and I love it!)
The Red Tent-Anita Diamant

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.