Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just learned that I have been incorrectly using my son's Husky in other cars (with the short belt and no tether), although it is tethered in my car. I want to buy him a booster for him to use in other cars. I'd prefer it to be less than $50, but if that's not doable, I can spend up to $100 (ouch). I'd go with an Apex, except that I can't be sure that the cars he'll ride in (with friends, etc) will have headrests. He's 43" tall, 40-41 lbs., and does occasionally fall asleep in the car, although I would be amazed if he did on a short trip with friends. While awake, he is very good about sitting up straight and extremely concerned about car safety.
Here are the seats that I see online:
-Fisher Price Safe Voyage booster-- is this made by Britax like the convertible?
-Graco Turbo Booster
-Britax Parkway
-Compass B505 folding booster-- that's a pretty useful feature for our needs

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
The FPSV booster is made by/with Britax - it's akin to the Starriser.

Personally, if I was making the choice right now, I'd go with the Parkway, Bodyguard, or Monarch. This video from a UK site showing the different ways boosters work in a side impact crash opened my eyes for when my 5yo switches into a booster.

ETA: I have actually owned the Turbobooster and the Compass. I find the Compass hard to fold and the Turbobooster uncomfortable, but fit our needs at the time (easy travel seat - it comes apart for storage)

·
Banned
5,868 Posts
I would go with a Britax Parkway. Your little guy is still quite petite and the Parkway cradles kids in ways the others do not. You should be able to find one for 80 dollars

The Graco Turbobooster is a great booster, but a bit larger and not a great fit for smaller children. I don't really care for the FP booster...minimal side impact protection.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Well ... my top booster choices would be: Compass B510, Graco Airbooster, Britax Parkway or Recaro Vivo

The B510 has deeper head wings than the B505. Airbooster has deeper headwings + comfier seat bottom than the Turbo. The Vivo looks easier to use than the FPSV (which is based on the discontinued Starriser Comfy that we hated)

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I haven't been able to get online for a couple days (because my toddler PEED on my laptop!!!
: ) but now that I have, it looks like I'll go with the Parkway. The Recaro looks really nice, but I found the Parkway for $70 and I've been happy with Britax.

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
We have the Compass B510, as the backup and are extremely happy with it. I like that it folds for storage, it has the deep head wings lots of safety features for a booster, it's also a lot more "seat" that other boosters. When we were looking at seats so many seemed light/flimsy/ect, this seems to have some heft to it.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, actually, I can't decide between the Parkway, the Recaro Vivo, and the B510. I'm leaning towards the Vivo-- it looks really substantial.

I'm thinking of putting this purchase off for another couple months. I want to replace my toddler's Scenera with something better, but I don't know what with-- I'm thinking a Boulevard, Radian 65, or the upcoming Compass "True Fit" which will supposedly be out in early '08? I don't think a Recaro seat will fit in next to my Husky, which is why I'm not really considering it. And last I checked (about a month or so ago), my little guy only weighs 27 lbs. so he's way too small for a Regent, which I couldn't fit next to my Husky anyway (without both kids being in the outboard seats).

Actually I might just go ahead and buy a BLVD on sale and a booster for my biggest. Ughh! Someone tell me what to do already! The "True Fit" sounds better than the Blvd but who knows, the Recaro seats sounded great, too, and then so much came out about them that isn't great, and who knows how wide the True Fit is anyway?
:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hottmama View Post

Actually I might just go ahead and buy a BLVD on sale and a booster for my biggest. Ughh! Someone tell me what to do already! The "True Fit" sounds better than the Blvd but who knows, the Recaro seats sounded great, too, and then so much came out about them that isn't great, and who knows how wide the True Fit is anyway?
:

I found a picture of the True Fit - It looks as wide as the rest. Personally, I would go for the Boulevard or a Recaro because of the side impact protection, and play wait and see with the True Fit.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
We have a Parkway, my son loves it! We used to have a Cosco crappy one and he always said the plastic hurt his legs, but this is so plush it is very comfy and I love that it has the wings to protect the head in a crash.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.