Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking for some help. I am pregnant with my 3rd child (have 2yo and justover3yo). We are a pretty healthy family but as autumn has arived we have all come down with a cold!! We have a pretty busy couple of months coming up, dh has exams we are moving etc and although we eat well (vegetarian) I would like something that I can take other than just a multivitamin to help me through the winter with as little illness as possible.

I looked at echinacea which I have taken before but found contraindications to taking it in pregnancy!! Has anyone taken it in pregnancy?
If not echinacea then what else?

Thanks for reading. I really need some advise
Leah xx

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Probiotics will help heal the gut and will increase immunity. They are fine to take. I would also take a multi-vitamin with vitamin C and zinc. Flax and borage oils are also supposed to help with the gut and provide omega fats. Olive oil is also supposed to help with the gut.

If you are concerned about detoxing too you could take milk thisle for the liver. I have seen several people post about taking it while pregnant but I haven't seen anything on it myself.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Echincea is fine to take while pg. I am 8 months pg and just got over a cold. I drank echinacea tea and tons of water. Slippery elm lozenges are safe and good for a sore throat. Vit c too.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,

I think I will go with the echinacea and a probiotic. As I said we are generally healthy but the first cold of the winter made me panic! Just hope this winter isn't to full of runny noses!!
Leah

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.