·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Booted from flight, comedian accuses

United of racism Airline's actions won't fly with Mo
http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-368914c.html

Quote:
TV star Mo'Nique got kicked off a United Airlines flight Sunday after getting into a spat with a flight attendant, and this time the comedian isn't laughing - she's crying racism.
"I felt like I was being treated like an animal," said the 38-year-old celebrity, whose seldom-used full name is Mo'Nique Imes-Hicks. "This happens to black people all the time, and they don't have a voice. I have a voice."

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
UMmmmmm.......don't throw tomatoes
: please but isn't this a problem for many people, not just blacks on flights? Being on the wrong list, having a wrong sounding name? Being to fat?

I have just heard of so many more people being kicked off for so many stupid reasons maybe my perspective is off since 9-11. But I have heard stories about people being kicked off over T-shirts, so a hair dryer isn't a big surprise.

http://www.elliott.org/archives/2001/10/kicked_off.php

http://money.cnn.com/2005/10/06/news...shirt/?cnn=yes

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I'm sure it wasn't the hair dryer per se but perhaps the attitude of the stylist trying stash it in 1st class when her seat was in coach. I just think there might potentially be a Diva story here we're not hearing.

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Who the hell is this chick? Never heard of her.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
I do not understand why the people on the flight did not believe her IMMEDIATELY when she confirmed the blow dryer was hers.

Well, even more, I don't understand how she would sit in 1st class and have her aid in coach.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Smacks of nothing more than her getting her panties in a wad to me. Have ya'll ever seen the show "Airline"? This sorta thing happens all the time. Not saying anyone was really right or wrong, but I don't think she was being harrassed b/c of her skin color.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Airlines have become sticklers for you being in possession of Your belongings. And for coach ticket holders wandering into first class.

Why didn't the aide just keep the hair dryer with her in coach? Was the M going to use it? I wouldn't even bother carrying on a hair dryer, that goes in the suitcase and gets checked.

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsupialmom
UMmmmmm.......don't throw tomatoes
: please but isn't this a problem for many people, not just blacks on flights? Being on the wrong list, having a wrong sounding name? Being to fat?

I have just heard of so many more people being kicked off for so many stupid reasons maybe my perspective is off since 9-11. But I have heard stories about people being kicked off over T-shirts, so a hair dryer isn't a big surprise.

http://www.elliott.org/archives/2001/10/kicked_off.php

http://money.cnn.com/2005/10/06/news...shirt/?cnn=yes
Dh flies all the time and he isn't a "businessman" in a suit. He ALWAYS get taken aside and searched and questioned. More often than not, he arrives for his flights immediately after work and has his work clothes on, which is usually dirty, ripped jeans and some ratty t-shirt. Over the 4th of July, he and another co-worker were getting ready to board a flight in White Plains. Dh has been working 3rd shift and his friend 1st. Dh had plenty of time to shower and put on nicer clothes, his friend did not. Just before boarding, dh's friend was told they were "sold out". The guy bought his ticket 3 weeks prior to this. How was it sold out? At this time, there was some guy in a nice suit standing at the counter. After the not so nice scene about dh's friend being told "sorry", the guy in the suit was issued a paper ticket for the flight!!!!

There's tons more things that have happened, but this is the most recent one. So, no blacks are in no way the only ones that are subjected to ridiculous decisions by airlines. Their theory is that they can do this because it's their job to weed out people who might be a "danger".

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinuviel_k
Definitly sounds less like a race issue and more like an attitude issue to me.
I agree.

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
From what little I know of her tv persona she seems like a very sweet person. I don't know her personally, but I believe her if she said it was racism.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I have a soft spot for her because she came up with the idea for the Miss F.A.T. (fabulous and thick
) pageant and she's very vocal about the whole skinny standard of beauty b.s. that has infected our society.

HOWEVER, I dunno...it sounds like a flight attendant got a little uppity and Mo'Nique took that as racism instead of just a flight attendant acting like an idiot, and it escalated from there.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I don't think this is a race issue either, more like an attitude issue with overzealous flight attendants. Since 9/11, the airlines have pretty much been given free reign to discriminate, institue punitive measures; all with little or no supervision. The national "no fly" list is just the tip of the ice berg. I almost feel like we've sort of stepped back in time.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Sounds like a normal airline issue to me.

My father has a prostetic arm, a hook, and last time he flew (for work) the airline personel tried to force him to put his PROSTETIC ARM in his luggage and check it. He fought them on it, and in the end they allowed him to board, with his arm...oh, and my dad is 5ft 8in tall, 250lbs (around there), blonde hair, blue eyes...

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesMama
Sounds like a normal airline issue to me.

My father has a prostetic arm, a hook, and last time he flew (for work) the airline personel tried to force him to put his PROSTETIC ARM in his luggage and check it. He fought them on it, and in the end they allowed him to board, with his arm...oh, and my dad is 5ft 8in tall, 250lbs (around there), blonde hair, blue eyes...
Oh that's freaking nice of them.
:

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiredX2
Well, even more, I don't understand how she would sit in 1st class and have her aid in coach.
Well, working in the entertainment industry, I know that it is usually the manager that books tickets and stuff. That most likely was not a decision she made.

·
Registered
873 Posts
tayndrewsmama=Just before boarding said:
The reason your husand's buddy did not get boarded and a guy in a suit was boarded after him was probably because Mr. Suit was holding a confirmed seat assignment and the buddy was not. All the major airlines and most of the minor ones over-book flights due to a high no-show factor. Most of the time it works out just fine, but there are times when problems arise and there are not enough seats for ticket holders.

I don't see racism as a factor in the Mo incident, and agree with some of the other posters that it sounds more like an attitude issue (on both sides).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts