Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An essential for breastfeeding

review by mhemingson

The boppy pillow is a great item for breastfeeding. The pillow wraps comfortably around the body. It has a removable slip cover for those times when baby spits up. The pillow itself can also be washed which is convenient, though it has a tendency to come out slightly lumpy. Overall, this is a great aid to breastfeeding.

ProsCons
Gets baby at a great height, wraps around sidesflattens out with use

Ratings
Overall4
Value5
Performance4

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Must-have!

review by mosaic

A boppy is a must-have for any new nurser. I still use it daily with my 2nd DD at 10 months old! Honestly, a boppy makes things soooo much more comfortable, it's definitely worth getting, even for more experienced nursers. The slipcovers are thin and don't really protect the boppy much, but they're still pretty! Just keep in mind that you'll likely need to wash both the slipcover and the boppy a few times (or more than a few times)! Luckily, the boppy holds up well to washing and drying! Like I said, a must-have!

ProsCons
comfortable, easy to usenone!

Ratings
Overall5
Value5
Performance5

·
Registered
2 Posts
Boppy is as necessary as diapers!

review by tibbles

I couldnt imagine getting through the hours and hours of holding and feeding a baby without a boppy. It makes everything so much more comfortable! Just slipping that odd shaped pillow around you makes such a difference in being able to comfortably breastfeed, and that can make a huge impact on whether you stick with it! As my kids have gotten older and stopped nursing, they love using the boppy for a real pollow too! I would highly reccomend the Boppy with removeable cover though. Spit-up happens. Sweaty babies happen.

A must for any mom to be!!

ProsCons
makes feeding/ holding baby comfortablestoring is a little difficult

Ratings
Overall5
Value4
Performance5

·
Registered
17 Posts
Lifesaver after a C-Section!

review by maman a droit

I got a Boppy pillow as a gift from my mother-in-law and LOVED it. I ended up having to have a c-section and the Boppy was perfect for keeping my son away from my c-section scar while still supporting him so I could nurse him. For me it didn't hold him up quite high enough at first, so I used pillows on one side and the arm of the couch on the other to hold him just a tiny bit higher. I think that now they have a newborn booster, so I'll have to check into that before next baby! It was also great for tummy time once my son got a little bit older. I consider this essential baby gear-this is what I bought my brother and sister-in-law for their baby shower!

*note: definitely get the waterproof cover. this pillow will get peed, puked, and leaked on!

ProsCons
comfortable, washable covers,bulky

Ratings
Overall5
Value4
Performance4

·
Registered
13 Posts
15 months of daily use and going strong

review by minneapolismama

I love, love, love my Boppy! My son has been nursing for 15 months. We taught him the ASL sign for milk, but when we're at home, he simply points to his Boppy to indicate that he wants to nurse-- It has become intimately linked with the comfort of being close to mama and nursing for him. He frequently falls alseep nursing and using the Boppy I can hold him for long periods of time without my arms tiring

ProsCons
Supports baby for nursingWas hard on c-sectioned tummy (great after healing)

Ratings
Overall5
Value5
Performance5

·
Registered
646 Posts
Another for the Give Away Pile

review by mommel

The Boppy was one of those things I saw on everyone's must-have list of baby supplies, but I never even used it for breastfeeding. I ended up sitting on it post-partum like a donut cushion, and once I propped baby against it on the bed when I ran to the potty, but as far as a breastfeeding pillow, the whole concept was lost on me and it went into the give away pile with a whole host of other things I thought for sure I'd need but didn't. I'm a minimalist mama and I can't stand extraneous stuff... this was definitely extraneous beyond being a glorified and extra plush donut cushion.

LL4.jpeg

ProsCons
great for sitting on post partumpointless, costly piece of nursery decor

Ratings
Overall3
Value2
Performance4

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great pillow for more than just nursing!

review by hippiemama86

I got lucky enough to find an EUC boppy pillow and extra cover at a yard sale for $5! Yeah, I know... steal. ;) Anyway, I've LOVED it! It was wonderful to use for nursing support, but it does so much more than that! I love using it to lay my son on for tummy time, to sit him up when he was 1st learning to sit, to lay him on for secure naps, and now as a 2 year old, it's his still his favorite pillow to sit on!

You really get your monies worth from this pillow, even if you pay full price! ;) ha

ProsCons
Easy to use, great support, cute covers, multiple usesnone

Ratings
Overall5
Value5
Performance5

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great for nursing and many other uses

review by andrea kim

While I don't think the Boppy is a must-have item it did prove to be very useful. I have to say, I could live without but it is nice to have around. I used it for nursing my newborn/infant, propping her up for tummy-time or chill-out time, and a pillow for myself to lay or sit on. We've kept it around all this time (over 3 years!) and still use it. It is durable enough to be used for the next child as well. I would recommend getting the Boppy if you have a little extra baby-money to spend OR put it on your registry! n770045083_6355127_511872.jpg

ProsCons
Cute, versatile, comfortable, removable/machine washable cover, durable, cute covers, makes nursing easierbulky, a little pricey

Ratings
Overall4
Value4
Performance5

·
Registered
307 Posts
Pretty good nursing pillow

review by lizsky

I tried the boppy and my brest friend and strongly preferred the boppy. Because the My brest friend pillow has a strap, it did adjust to exactly the height at which I wanted to nurse. However, the strap and odd shape of the Brest Friend also made it incredibly difficult to wash which led to a pillow that reeked constantly of spit up. The boppy is softer, and SO much easier to launder. It also can be used for pregnancy, or to prop up a young baby during playtime. If I could change one feature it would be to make at least one side of it a little flatter...when my baby was brand new, she would sometimes slip because the pillow was so round.

ProsCons
easy to wash, comfortable, multiple usesa little too rounded for newborns

Ratings
Overall4
Value0
Performance0

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good positioner, terrible for nursing infant

review by gloomcookie

I loved the Boppy as a comfy spot to lay my son down for a few minutes or for tummy time, but hated it for it's intended use as a nursing pillow. It is way to soft and mushy to use for a floppy newborn. Totally frustrated this FTM. So glad I knew about My Brest Friend! Once your baby is a bit bigger and you've got the whole nursing thing down, the Boppy is fine, but really at that point, any pillow will do the same job. Meh.

ProsCons
great to "hold" baby or for tummy timeno support for newborn, hard to keep in place

Ratings
Overall3
Value4
Performance2

·
Registered
66 Posts
You do not need one of these things

review by thegreenbeagle

New mamas, you don't need to get one of these things. Just have a variety of pillows in your house...that you don't mind baby fluids on. OK, so if you don't have those, the boppy isn't a bad thing to have around. Be prepared that you might still need another pillow or two to use while you are bf. These pillows are cute and they can be used to sit the baby up, but you really just do. not. *NEED* it.

ProsCons
cute

Ratings
Overall3
Value2
Performance3

·
Registered
29 Posts
Boppy is very helpful in the early days

review by maself

I used this pillow with all six of my babies. How many items are that useful? ;) I especially enjoy using it in the early days. The pillow is at just the right height for me and it makes it very comfortable to nurse. I never put it around me, but just under my arm so I do not tire out from holding my arm up. My newborns also LOVE snuggling in it. This was the only way I could sneek away to go to the potty without my little one waking up. They felt very safe and the only way I could lay them down was to put them in the boppy pillow. I carried it with me if I went out of town too. They could safely have tummy time and learned to lift their head and look around easily. I always felt like it helped them to become stronger. In the beginning I am attached to my Boppy!

He loved snuggling in his Boppy!

Easter 2010 004.JPG

Smiling in the Boppy:*

Easter 2010 011.JPG

*I was always sitting right next to him and he was not left unattended.

ProsCons
Good for positioning baby while nursing, comfortable for baby for tummy time

Ratings
Overall5
Value5
Performance4

·
Registered
600 Posts
Love my boppy!

review by whozeyermamma

Oh how I love the Boppy! I found it much easier to use than other nursing pillows - easy to travel with too. I found the "breast friend," pillow too stiff and I didn't like the belt.

It makes night nursing so much more comfy - I even use it now that my son is 17 months old. (When he wants to nurse in the morning, he'll walk over with it and hand it to me!)

Very cute covers and reasonably priced too. Get at least two covers!

ProsCons
easy to use, clean none!

Ratings
Overall5
Value5
Performance5

·
Registered
86 Posts
good pillow for many different reasons

review by kbvr

I tried and failed to use this as a nursing pillow....I tried and failed with the My Breast Friend also. I just found nursing pillows too bulky and in the end unnecessary for me. I just propped my little one on me in a more upright position.

However the Boppy came into its own and was invaluable as a pillow for my daughter....it was great for tummy time with toys placed on the ground in front - its curved shape gave her support and this was one of the few ways she enjoyed tummy time. It then worked well to support her when she first started wanting to sit - again the shape was great for that. She is now nearly two and still loves to sit in it - often with a book or a snack. I am so glad I have this and that I kept it even after not using it as a nursing pillow.

100_5493.JPG

ProsCons
soft, supportivebulky as a nursing pillow

Ratings
Overall4
Value4
Performance4

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very useful in many ways!

review by smschulte

The boppy has been great as I nurse my daughter every 2 hours! I have a glider that I sit in to nurse and the boppy sits perfectly above the arm rests. It's also been great to have to prop her up at times when she needed extra support for sitting up. Even at 6 months, my daughter knows that when I grab the boppy, it is time to eat.

I'm glad I also have 2 slip covers. It has made it easier for washing.

ProsCons
supportive, easy to use and wash

Ratings
Overall5
Value5
Performance5

·
Registered
15 Posts
More than a nursing pillow

review by beequaweddell

I have 4 of these! They are so versitile. I use them help position newborn, especially in the middle of the night, when the baby gets older it helps with floor time and sitting up, even my older children use them as head support when laying on the floor reading books, etc.

ProsCons
easy to cleannone

Ratings
Overall5
Value5
Performance5

·
Registered
33 Posts
We love our Boppy

review by nikkiboo3145

We love our Boppy; makes nursing so much more comfortable for the baby and I. Love to put on the floor for my daughter to lay, everyone loves to use it in our house.. Best thing I bought before we had Noa. :eek:) It's nice to have a few covers to change while you do the wash. It's so easy to take off to clean.

ProsCons
Makes nursing comfortable, Baby and I love to use.none

Ratings
Value0
Performance0
Overall4

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Used a Boppy for 6 years and still going strong!

review by kalishanti

I LOVE my Boppy Nursing Pillow! For 6 years it has enhanced my breastfeeding with my three kiddos. I use it with newborns all the way through toddlerhood. I love all the slipcover options, too. I really can't say enough about this pillow. I hope to get a new one for Baby #4 because mine is finally wearing down a bit.

ProsCons
Perfect for nursing!looses it's shape (but what wouldn't after years), not travel friendly

Ratings
Value5
Performance5
Overall5

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.