Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found serveral home cleaning recipes that call for Borax. I feel stupid - but what is this and where can I buy it (specific store and location in store!).<br><br>
I just bought large quantities of vinegar & baking soda at costco - what else would I need for basic home cleaning recipes?<br><br>
Also, at Costco they had a Bissel Steam Mop for sale (38 bucks), but were sold out. Target doesn't carry this. Anyone know where I can get one of these? Anyone tried it - feedback?<br><br>
Rissa

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Borax can be found in the laundry section of any grocery store. It isnt considered non toxic, but Clean HOuse has it in a few of her recipes. Cleans, whitens and disenfects, esp great for hard water. I use it but keep it high on the shelf.....great for cleaning the toilet. Just pour in and let sit overnight.

·
Registered
95 Posts
yup - laundry aisle in the grocery store. It is a powder, so where ever your store keeps the powdered laundry stuff. (mine is on the top shelf)<br><br><br>
I also have a recipe for a carpet freshener with borax and corn starch = 2 parts corn starch to 1 part borax. sprinkle on carpet and let sit for at least 20 minutes, then vaccuum up. won't bother pets sensitive paws the way some commercial fresheners do. (doesn't bother my sensitive airways either)

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
I dont think I would use Borax as a carpet freshener. In CHCP, Karen Logan says that even getting this in an open wound, it can enter your system. Ive been cleaning with a solution that had a small amount of Borax in it, had a small cut on my finger and it stung like mad. I save the Borax for the toilet.<br><br><br>
For carpet freshener, I use baking soda scented with an essential oil. Its the same thing they sell for this purpose, only alot cheaper!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts