Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been going to a birth center for my prenatal care but toward the end of the pregnancy the baby was found to be breech. I went for a sonogram to see if a version was possible but it was not because she had one leg up and one down. The midwives said I would have to transfer to the OB. This was on Tuesday March 24. On the 25th I went in to the OB for a consult. He said we would schedual a C-Section for the following week. I was due somewhere between March 30 and April 19... no one really knows for sure. Anyway I thought I had been peeing my pants for the last 12 hours or so and I mentioned it to the OB. He checked me with special paper and said my water was slowly leaking out. So at that point he said I needed a C-Section that night to prevent infection. He again confirmed the baby was breech and sent me to the hospital. I had 6 hours since I had just eaten. I kept praying and talking to the baby to tell her I really needed her to flip over. I really didn't think she would though. So they got me all ready for my C-section and at 9pm the doctor came in and I asked for one last sonogram because I thought I had just felt her turning. They thought I was crazy, but as soon as he put the sono thing on my pelvic bone he exclaimed "That's a head!!!" I was not having any signs of labor and my water was still leaking so he said he would just induce me. I was dissapointed to be induced and not be at my birth center, but hey it was not a C-section!

They gave me cytotec which started regular contractions and then 4 hours later started pitocin. I labored all night and all day...21 hours in total. There came a point that I had been in labor (pitocin Hell labor) for 16 hours and I was still only a 4 and 50% effaced. I was loosing it. So I asked for pain coping options. I tried walking, swaying, rocking in the chair, getting on my hands and knees... but as they upped the pitocin it just go so unbearable. I was sleep deprived and food deprived. I was close to passing out at this point so the nurse suggested an epidural to get me relaxed and get me to rest. I didn't want it. Then she said that if I relaxed the baby might start moving down easier. That was all the convincing I needed. If it helped her get out... I guess I'd take it. I cried the entire time they did the epidural. I felt like a failure. I didn't think I deserved to be a mom if I couldn't handle the labor. My first baby was induced and I didn't need an epidural... so I couldn't understand why this one was so much worse. After it kicked in and there was no pain I just layed there numb, emotionally and physically. But then things started progressing really fast and I decided maybe that had been the best option.

It didn't take long for me to get to transition... but with the epidural I had no idea how intense the contractions were getting so I had not idea transition was coming. I started violently vomitting, I was so dizzy and I kept saying something is wrong, I think I'm dying or something, lol. The nurse said it was just transition and checked me. I was an 8! Then about 15 or 20 minutes later I felt wonderful, I knew it was time. I had so much energy and no pain, but I could feel the baby moving down and coming out. It was an amazing feeling. I told the nurse it was time and that I needed to push. She said no I just checked you and you are an 8. I said "uh no, you better check again". She laughed and said okay well if it will make you feel better. Then she started to check and said "Oh my god she's complete... call the doctor!" so another nurse went to call the OB but there was no way he would be there in time so he said call the on call doc. Meanwhile the nurse said give me a "practice" push and then yelled "OKAY STOP STOP" She turned to the nursery lady that was there waiting to check the baby and said "oh my, I am going to have to deliver the baby myself" Then the doctor walked in.

He was a random doctor that I didn't know which bothered me, but oh well, I was having a baby. He looked down there and said "Okay just one or two pushes and you are done!" So I pushed and he said okay stop, you are about to tear (had a 4th degree last time so I kinda expected it). He streched and massaged me but he said if I didn't want to tear right through to my bum again that he would need to cut me a little. I was actually okay with that because I remember how bad the tear was last time. So he cut me and said one more push but before I could even bear down the baby was out, lol. My contraction just did it.

The baby was covered in vernix, I mean ALOT of it! But she was beautiful. They put her on me and I cried. It was such a great feeling to get to see her immediately. With my first baby I didn't get to see her at all until 30 min after I had her for medical complications, so I was so greatful to SEE and TOUCH my baby!!! She was 6 pounds 12 ounces, 19.5 inches and they said problaby 2 or 3 weeks early, but totally developed. My hubby actually cut the cord which I didn't expect because he is so squeemish with that stuff. We cried and held her. She refused to nurse. It was like she had no desire to suck at all. The nurse put her finger in the baby's mouth and the baby just sat there. It worried me. I tried for well over an hour and then they took Gabrielle to the nursery for a bath and got me transfered to my postpartum room. I hated that they insisted on a bath too
: I argued it for a while but eventually I just said fine.

They brought her back to me (hubby was with her the whole time) after about an hour. So by this point she was 2.5 hours old and not nursed yet. So I tried and tried. FINALLY about 4 hours old and I got her to nurse She just slept and slept, didnt want to eat, and temp kept dropping. I just felt like something was wrong. The nursery staff kept assuring me she was fine. The pedi came and said she was fine. The next morning Gabrielle was breathing really hard and snorting ALOT. The pedi came and said Gabrielle was not breathing well at all and needed to be evaluated by the neonatalogist in the NICU. The NICU admitted her immediately and hooked her up to all kinds of tubes and IVs and such. My husband and I cried so much seeing her laying there helpless and so sick. About 2 hours later they came and said her flu screen came back positive. I had just had the flu and had been hospitalized it was so bad durring the pregnancy. The Neonatalogist explained that it was in her system because of the virus still being in me even though I was pretty much better already. I felt so guilty, like I had made her sick and I just was heartbroken.

They did a chest xray and she was getting pneumonia from aspirating milk since she was having difficulty breathing and nursing at the same time. They wouldn't let us hold her, she couldn't nurse or have a bottle (not that I would let them give her a bottle anyway) at all for 12 hours. They used a suction machine on her nose and lots of bright green snot came out. That really helped get her breathing better. Since she had the flu it was required for her to be in her own room in the NICU in a closed Isolette and everyone going in or out had to wear a plasitc gown and gloves. We couldn't hold her, couldn't touch her without gloves... it was so inhumane!

Finally after 12 hrs they said she was breathing well enough to try and nurse. THANK GOD I BREASTFEED!!!! Because that is the only reason she had any skin to skin human contact the whole time she was there! They really wanted to give pumped milk so they knew how much she was taking and so I didn't have to hold her, but I insisted that I could nurse her and they could weigh her before and after to see how much she took. They reluctantly agreed, but I believe that breastmilk is what helped her get better so fast. She only was seriously sick for like 3 days and I know flu in a newborn can be deadly and prolonged. She was down to 6 pounds 1 ounce and then after 24 hours of nursing she was up to 6 pounds 6 ounces and was 6 punds 8 ounces when she came home. At her 2 week appt she was 7 pounds 7 ounces. Again, THANK GOD FOR BREASTMILK!

As for me, I lost some blood and was already anemic so My Hemoglobin level when they checked was only 8. So I am trying to work on that but otherwise I am doing well. Baby is doing well now too. We are home and enjoing life. I have never been so thankful in my life!

Oh, we named her Gabrielle Rose... and yes she still sticks one leg strait up alot of the time, lol.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
What an amazing story! Poor kid having to be stuck with the flu in NICU after birth, but I am glad your wonderful milk helped her get better. Congratulations!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.