Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What? I am on a list where a lady said that she's worried 'cause the doc retracted her son's foreskin. Another member said that she thought he was born with a "defect" of having no foreskin. The OP said that was true, but he grew one by the time he was a month old.

IS this possible? Sounds crazy to me.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I have never heard of a child growing a foreskin.Perhaps it was just a short foreskin that did not cover the glans all the way.

<<<< On occasion, a male is born without a foreskin. This abnormality, called aposthia, occurs very rarely. When it does, hospital records must report it as a birth defect. It is truly ironic to think that this unusual defect is forced upon more than half of the males born in our country.

"In some children, the end of the penis has not completely developed, and the child is unable to produce a forceful stream of urine. One of the surgical procedures to correct this problem requires the foreskin. No foreskin should be removed in a circumcision without first checking to make sure the child does not have hypospadias."
>>>>

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I just wonder if people really know what a baby's penis is supposed to look like. I thought I did, but was still surprised to see my son's. I was out of it for an hour after he arrived, and when I got a chance to inspect, thought he had been circumcized in that hour. I never knew about the raphe, and thought it was something that had been cut! My husband was VERY patient in the days it took to convince me he had been with the baby the ENTIRE time, and nothing had been done to the baby's penis.

And I have 3 *younger* brothers who are intact, I changed their dipes; I *should* have known what a baby penis looked like. But I didn't.

So...it also reminds me that in the first weeks, I would look at my son and wonder "if we were into circumcizing, just WHERE would they clamp?" Circ'ing makes me ill anyway, but it was making me almost shake to think of where the surgeon would start the process. He had just a little tiny elephant trunk looking penis, nothing "extra" in appearance at all.

But then he started growing and changing, and pulling of course, and lo and behold, there was some "extra" skin!

I think that's a much more likely answer to the question; that the mother just didn't really know what she was looking at, and it was simply nature working its magic as the penis grew and changed along with the rest of baby's body!

I thought I was an expert, but I was wrong...so it's within my own realm of possibilities that someone not quite so originally savvy could label things incorrectly and misunderstand things as well.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
No, it's not possible. The glans and foreskin develop at the same time as a singular organ. Once the baby leaves the womb, he's got everything down there he will ever have. I'm with Molly that people have little concept of what an intact penis looks like. Here's an illustration: If you've ever seen the penis on a puppy, it looks almost like a round ball on his stomach instead of the long cylindrical thing an adult dog has. It almost looks like an "outtie" navel. To someone who was not familar with puppies, they would probably pronounce these females and would be quite surprised to come back a couple of months later to see that they had all grown penises after being born!

Men who have the birth defect of aposthia will never grow a foreskin. Men who have been circumcised will never grow a foreskin.

Frank

·
Registered
97 Posts
Jennie, are you talking about the link I posted? It does very specifically mention the foreskin. Did you follow the links to where you slide the bar to see the development and then click on each part? The very tip of the penis is the "prepuce", just like the clitoral hood is the "prepuce". The link to hypospadias is very interesting too.

Cindy

Lindsey (96/02/26)
Jason (00/06/08)

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Oh okay. Now I see it! I did that before, but it didn't show up "prepuce"- must've not "moused-over' the right spot! Cool. I think I'll link to this on my anatomy page!

Hey- I see the hypospadias part... And darn- the "XY mosaic" link is "coming soon"! I wanted to see that as I was just having a discussion with someone on it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.