Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A relative has passed her previously-used breast pump on to me, if I would like to use it. I would LOVE to save the $$ and not buy one of my own, but I've read that it's not a good idea because of the risks of cross-contamination because you can't fully sterilize the whole thing. Does anyone know if this is indeed true, or a ploy by the pump manufacturers to make sure everyone buys one? I'm such a cynic.....

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'd use it. I borrowed a pump from a friend after my first DS was born, and used it until she needed it back. I didn't even buy new parts, just sterilized the parts that were with the pump. If it's a PIS, I think there is a *slight* chance of milk getting sucking into the pump, but I've been pumping with a PIS for over 2 years now between both of my kids and I've never had milk back up into the pump.

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Hospitals and WIC lend out previously used pumps, so I don't see why you can't use one.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I'm using a pump a friend gave me...you are suposed to sterlize them before the first use anyway...so I don't see a problem with it...especially if you know the person...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts