Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. As many of you know, I have Asperger's/HFA and my dh has PDD-NOS (originally dx'ed as ADD, I think, then changed. ). And, hooray, we're finally pregnant!

Completely un-scientifically and anecdotally, how would you all rate the chances that our child will fall somewhere on the spectrum? And what should we be looking for? And what should we do if we find it? My (now 8 year old) daughter was so utterly, absolutely neurotypically normal (if gifted) that I couldn't even worry up any symptoms for her. I was weird right from the get-go, with the hyperlexia and the infant echolalia (talking at 3 months) and the sensory issues. This whole thing onbviously runs in families (mine in particular)... so what does everyone think?

(this is perhaps just pregnant-woman obsessiveness, but please indulge me!)

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
No idea..it wasn't until we had Elijah that we really took a hard look at ourselves and our family backgrounds and realized we were bound to have a sweet boy like him in our lives...
My daughters are both totally NT, though Sophie is showing possible signs of SID problems..she's only 2 so it's kind of hard to tell. My son Jake is totally NT, but didn't talk until he was 3..Eli has PDD..

It's really hard to say..I know if I'm blessed with another baby I'll obsess too..

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I think the odds are something like 25% chance if you have one previous child with autism (so they tell me at TEACCH). So in your case, since you're the parent, you've probably got about a 25% chance or so, because I'd say the risk is about the same as if you had an affected child already if it's the parent who's affected.

If you have a child with ASD, you'll do fine. You'll get OT and ST for the sensory and speech stuff, and you'll advocate for you child with ferocity and dedication.
Your antennae will already be up and watching for anything "suspicious," so I really wouldn't worry about you missing any signs. Tell those pregnancy hormones to calm down and quit making you nuts.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Oh, Hala, congratulations!!!

I'm also an obsessed pregnant woman. The statistics say something like a 10% chance of having a second child on the spectrum, but because of our eccentric families, DH is guessing we have about a 50/50 chance of another autistic baby.

Some doctors recommend certain supplements for pregnant women who already have a family history of autism -- vit. B-6 & B-12, selenium/zinc for immune support, omega-3s for healthy brain development. I'm taking B-12 and C, because I believe my family has a B-12 deficiency that causes a lot of anxiety-related autistic symptoms. One thing I have expertise in is taking care of and playing with an autistic baby...so I'm not too worried about that...I'm a little worried about the possibility of having an oddball neurotypical in the house, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.