Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/mag...ain/?page=full

Wow. This article almost made me cry.
: I can't believe the Boston Globe ran this as an article (front page in their Sunday magazine) and not an opinions piece. Clearly the author is EXTREMELY opinionated! This man essentially called women who choose to forgo epidurals kinky, masochistic drama queens. He suggests that Ina May Gaskin's main (sole?) "justification" for women going med-free is the chance they'll have super orgasms during labor!

Why shouldn't I be able to choose what I want for myself and my baby without this random male pediatrician judging me and telling me I'm in it for the attention, or because I love pain, or because I'm hoping for an orgasm during labor, or because I don't know how to read scientific research or balance risks and rewards?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Wow! That is unbelievable and just plain sad that a doctor cannot see the benefits of NOT having an epidural.
: Grrrrrr, that makes me angry that an article with such an opinionated point of view would be published. I believe the choice to have an epidural is one of the many informed decisions a birthing mother should make.

-Andrea

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
What an idiot! I love how he makes two categories: "breastfeeders" and "formula feeders/supporters of a free market". Oh, yes, Jerky: I breastfeed b/c I am against a "free market."
Let me tell you -- I haven't finished the article yet. It is so hard to read!! Is he smoking crack for his analgesia???

I also love how natural childbirth frequently causes complications. HUH???!!? He failed to mention that the US is number 25 in infant/maternal mortality. 25!! And we are supposed to be advanced?

Gosh I wish I could educate myself like Fanny on the wonders of ether! Thank goodness for this article or I would go forward with my natural birth. I guess my first homebirth (which was painful) was me just being silly and ignorant. I will have to figure out where my HUGE sense of power and kickass-ness came from after the birth, because it can't be because I overcame any pain...

Maybe it will be too hard for me to figure out since I am so ignorant...

I am going to write to [email protected]. but, I am going to have to calm down first.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Gah! What an infuriating article!

I'm not choosing a natural childbirth because I'm a masochist (or uneducated - sheesh). I simply want to experience it for what it is. I don't want to be numb from the waist down. I want to be engaged in the process. If that entails going through some pain, so be it. Pain never killed anyone.

This article points out a key thing about American society: "The pursuit of happiness" has turned into "The pursuit of painlessness." It's our "right" to be able to medicate any little twitch or twinge these days.

But happiness is not merely the absence of pain. Quite often true joy is wrought from overcoming painful circumstances.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Quote:
But happiness is not merely the absence of pain. Quite often true joy is wrought from overcoming painful circumstances.
:

very well said. I may just quote you on that.

The sense of power, accomplishment, strength, joy!! OVERWHELMING JOY!! from a natural childbirth is AWESOME. As in the true sense of that word: awe-some.

I think it's the woman's choice what she does for labor, but it's my own personal opinion that we are systematically trying to turn women into men and men into women, an androgynization of the culture.

Childbirth is part of my pain and burden and joy and strength and power as a woman. It is part of what makes me who I am. Breastfeeding is a part of my burden and joy and power. It is part of what makes me who I am. I am a woman. I am different from a man. I experience burdens and pain and joy and power and sorrow that no man can comprehend. That is good. That is right.

If we all just lined up for epidurals and c-sections and bottlefeeding, are we still women? Or are we merely the half of the androgyny that has a uterus? That will change when we can grow babies in bottles and avoid the whole dangerous event of pregnancy and childbirth. And we are no longer human.

Yeah, yeah, slippery slope and that will offend a lot of people. But that is my perspective, and if I can't share it here at MDC, where can I?

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Wow! After reading that article and the transcript of his chat, I'm really surprised that the humn race is still surviving. I wonder how we made it all those years through childbirth, without epidurals. Just lucky, I guess...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts