Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi---I was just wondering if anyone has had a stay at the Boston Medical Center NICU. We're expecting a drug exposed adopted baby in Feb, and she'll have to be in the NICU while she detoxes. I'm just trying to prepare myself for the experience. Anyone with experience with heroine and metadone exposed babies, or with Boston Medical Center NICU? THanks!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
They are a level III facility. It happens way too often where mothers with little to no prenatal care show up to give birth to drug addicted babies at BMC. That being said, I think your little one will receive a very high level of care. If there is any trouble, babies are transferred to the level IV NICU at Children's.

Here is the linke to their web site:

http://www.bmc.org/pediatrics/services/NICU/index.html

Perhaps you can contact them beforehand to get a tour and get more information?

PM me if you would like more personal info.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hi there. While I didn't do my Pedi rotation at BMC, many of my friends did. There are A LOT of babies going through withdrawal there, and from what I have heard the staff is amazing. He/She will very likely be in a private area of the NICU with little to no light/sound. I'm sure you already have, but I encourage you to read up on how babies who are addicted to methadone act. In my experience they are very fussy and colicky and really avoid eye contact. The best position I have found to hold them, is turned out away from your body while bouncing. Too much stimulation is not a good thing at first, and while I'm sure your entire family will want to meet the baby I would absolutely insist that it only be you and your significant other for a few weeks. I wish you and your family lots of luck; this will be a very hard and rewarding experience for you all. This new baby is lucky to have such a great family who is already preparing! Good luck and congrats!

I just wanted to add - have you thought about pumping/breastfeeding for this baby? If you're interested check out the breastfeeding boards - this would REALLY benifit the baby and help the two of you bond.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.