Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a strange question...

My dd (13 months) and I went to visit my mom yesterday and stayed a night. My mom watched dd today while I was showering. When I came out dd had a baby doll and was giving it a toy bottle (toys that my mom has from when I was little) and making a sucking noise. My mom was saying "This is how we feed the baby." Since we are still bf-ing and plan on child-led weaning, I don't know how I feel about the situation. I said to my dd "we can also nurse babies like you nurse". And modeled nursing the doll. I'm sure that I overreacted in the situation. I was just wondering if any of your dc's play with dolls w/ bottles? Again...I'm not sure how I feel about it. It definitely upset me at first reaction, but now as I think on it, I'm not quite sure. Any opinions??

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
There are breastfeeding dolls - that have velcro lips to latch on. DD (20 mos) nurses all her stuffed animals and lots of other random things. I am very determined to raise her to think that breastfeeding is the norm and in our house (don't judge others) I don't allow bottlefeeding dolls. I intend to never say things to her that are critical of bottlefeeding mothers but to teach her that breastfeeding is the normal way to feed babies and breastmilk in a bottle is a good option when mother is away from a baby. I'll wait a while before I tell her what formula is and all the controversy - good conversation for an older child I think. I will teach her all about the marketing from formula companies and all teh things in our society that undermines breastfeeding.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Jordan plays with dolls, but she nurses them. And when I am home, she has me nurse them, too. :LOL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.