Mothering Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<div class="post-content-area indexable">
<div class="wiki_markup" id="user_content_16097995">
<p>My 8 and a 1/2 month old is breastfed.  He also eats some solid foods every day. In the past 10 days or so I have started giving him bottles of water mixed with s little apple juice. He usually has one or 2 6 oz bottles of this a day. Before I introduced this juice/water to him,he was having major constipation- going a whole week without pooping- and it went on for months! Once I introduced this juice water in a bottle, he has been pooping easily almost every day! yeah.</p>
<p>So I know the liquid is good for him. Before that I was feeding him water in a spoon and sometimes a cup, but he was never able to consume much that way.</p>
<p>I tried a sippy cup a little bit in the last couple of days and am not sure if that is a good option for us or not.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So here is my concern about the bottles: Please give any advice about this-</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So he Loves to drink the juice water bottle. It totally mellows him out and I hold him in my lap and he usually sucks down the whole thing happily. ( I am mindful to make sure it is plenty of water and small amounts of juice)</p>
<p>But since we started this, he is biting again when he nurses! argh! so this is what I have observed- he also sometimes today and yesterday wants the bottle of juice over the breast if offerred. Partly this is because I have been very nervous and stressed when nursing him since he started biting.</p>
<p>But I think when he drinks the bottle he sometimes bites the bottle nipple- and I think also the juice comes out faster than my milk does.</p>
<p>anyway-</p>
<p>I am wondering if you guys think that him drinking from the bottle is causing him to bite at the breast more?</p>
<p>Also between the juice and the solids I am nursing less and my milk get backed up and it is sore.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I want to continue to give him the daily juice water as he is clearly thirsty for it and I want him well hydrated.  He loves the bottle. should I stop the bottle and find a different way for him to consume the juice water because of the biting thing? Or do you think it is unrelated?</p>
<p>Are there any good methods other than the bottle for an 8 and a 1/2 month old? I would try a small cup but what type of cup is best?</p>
<p>It just seems that he gets it injested so well in the bottle but I absolutely do not want to create a bad habit where the sucking of the bottle creates a problem with breastfeeding. this biting hting is a challenge right now.</p>
</div>
</div>

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Bottles teach bad habits to older babies. I would limit the water and juice to a sippy or cup only. If he likes ut, he will figure it out. There is no is reason he needs to have a bottle at this point or to develop a relationship with water/juice drinking. A lot of sippy cups are quite hard to drink from. We have some cheap bpa free gerber that we remove the valves from. The water flow is a lot faster and the cup is always in the pay area. Otherwise, you just hold any water cup to their mouth and help them drink.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>I am trying to figure out what exactly the bad habit is with the bottle?</p>
<p>My conflict is that he will drink a good 6 ounces in one sitting- which he needs- in a bottle, and I have not yet found another way to have him injest that much. With cups so far he just takes a few sips and most of it spills down his shirt.</p>
<p>We got a sippy cup but it is quite big. Maybe I shold try a smaller one.</p>

·
Registered
630 Posts
<p>The thing with the bottle might be that you have to either drink or choke on it some times (fast flow especially), which is part of the reason why it's extremely easy for well meaning parents and caregivers to overfeed babies with bottles (not that he's taking too much). SO he might be taking that much because he sucks it pours into his mouth and his next instinct is to swallow. He might have to clamp down on the nipple to stop the flow, thus teaching him a fun new trick and why not try it out everywhere!? You could try switching to something that's slow flow (you have to test it, you can't trust the package) and also try paced bottle feeding. </p>
<p>For his age I'd keep trying with other stuff other than a bottle. Taking valves off sippy cups is a good idea but the problem with them is you have the same "bad suck" that dentists say cause jaw/teeth problems if used for a long time. We had success with cups early on, we liked the little IKEA cups, keep trying with a cup!</p>
<p>It's kind of a transition time and I'd use what you've got to so that the constipation issues don't come back. Have you looked at his diet to see if there is something in there causing it? Also he should have nursing as a primary source of his nutrition, up to a year, even if you'd like to wean at that point. Breastmilk is a natural laxative and so nursing more should have the same effect as the juice without the bottle/sugar issues!</p>

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<p>I am glad I am getting info on this</p>
<p>I am gonna try a cup again</p>
<p>I need to get a small cup</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Right now my breasts are full but our rhythm is off due to the juice water.</p>
<p>Maybe he is drinking too much because of the flow as JEssica saud.</p>
<p>The only thing is that we tried many any different things with the months of constipation- and now he is not constipated- finally!!!  But now I will change it up some- offer the juice/water in a cup or sippy, and definately breastfeed before offering the water- ugh now I am wating for him to wake up so I can nurse.</p>

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
<p>Can I ask more about the constipation? It's not uncommon or unhealthy for breastfed babies to poo once a week or every 10 days.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Instead of juice, what do you think about water and then actual fruit? My doctor always recommends water and whole fruit over fruit juice. they make some prune pruree that might help or even small chunks of soft fruit - peaches, pares, plums.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Nursing strikes are not uncommon around this age as they start to move, crawl, pull-up and get more food. It's important to keep nursing. Also make sure YOU are well hydrated.</p>

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
<p>I would be concerned about two things 1) his juice intake seems to be affecting his nursing. Until a year, BM should be his primary food. Juice is basically empty calories, calories he should be getting from BM or whole foods. 2) Bottles of juice have been linked to increased dental problems. You will need to wean him off a bottle sooner than later so just going right to a sippy will help skip that step. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>If you are worried about constipation, I would look at your diet and his. If you take in a lot of dairy, try eliminating it for a week or two and see if you see an improvement. For him, I would up the amount of fruits he eats (try prunes) and offer water in a sippy throughout the day.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href="http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/juiceforbaby.htm" target="_blank">Here is some good info.</a></p>

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<p>thanks for the suggestions. Today was a little bit better- he still bit some but less. I stopped the bottle since reading these posts yesterday. I know too much juice isn't good and also can cause dental problems- but I still feel like a little mixed with water is okay sometimes .. I am also offering more plain water too. I will keep watching to see if maybe I realize that the juice isn't good for him or necessary- but for now a little bit seems ok. I can see how the amount he was getting in the bottle would be too much.</p>
<p>I took the idea of trying a cup today instead of the bottle</p>
<p>an actual cup- and it worked okay.he took a lot less in- which I don't know is good or bad! According to the responses here that is a good thing, but I feel like there is a balance in there somewhere between making sure he still nurses enough and allowing him other liquids.</p>
<p>I have just recently started brushing his (2) teeth- tho I am not sure how good of a job I can do with it.</p>
<p>I am scared of the biting still though- and scared for when he has more teeth. How do people do this?! I really hope the biting thing was in response to the bottle and that after a little while more w-out the bottle that the biting will stop- because it is making breastfeeding a stressful thing where as we have had a great breastfeedng relaitonship up until this issue.</p>

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<p>okay- the more I think about it the more I can see how juice could be more sugar than he needs-</p>
<p>I am going to try to do just water tomorrow and see how he does- when I do add juice, btw, it is not all that much compared to how much water. But I will experiment with just water- and see if he still continues to poop. I started this from a constipation remedy place which is why I added the juice in the 1st place.</p>
<p>I have already discussed the constipation issue at length so I will refrain from getting into it here but thankfully it is much better since adding the extra liquids.</p>
<p>Thanks again for all the good suggestions- I am a first time mom and a lot of it is really trying something and then learning from the experience.</p>

·
Registered
630 Posts
<p>That's what parenting is all about, trial and error, and figuring it out! :D</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Remember a biting baby is not a nursing baby. Also there is usually a specific time when they bite (beginning, letdown, end) and if you know you can be aware and ready with a pinky to break the suction and a cold wash cloth or something else to chew on instead of you. Most get the idea pretty quickly that mom is not for biting. Also if you can't get him off quickly pulling him into your breast to block his nose for a second (he'll open his mouth right away to breathe) will make him let go in a hurry. </p>

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
<p>Op, I hope you didn't think I was flaming you for giving your baby juice. :D My DS1 does have juice, but it is very rare. I was concerned that it was interfering with his nursing. I have never had constipation problems with my boys, so I can't really relate, but I am sure it is no fun. If juice is what makes him better, after trying other things, than go with diluted juice. You could easily wipe off his teeth and gums when he is done drinking. </p>

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<p>I am still trying to figure this all out- regarding the nursing and biting. Because the other thing is that now he is eating solid foods too. We had kind of a weird transition in which he was EBF for the first 6 months, then some food- then I backed off on the food at 7 months to see if EBF would help with constipation (it didn't) - and then around 8 months or before we started foods again and now he eats food every day-</p>
<p>So I am trying to figure out how to handle nursing less when he is full from food or other drink.</p>
<p>My breasts get full and it used to be that it was always in sncy w- his wanting to nurse and it was a very nice balance. Now, sometimes my breasts get full but he would rather have some solids at that time- and I was resisting that and trying to nurse- and then he bites- and in a discussion with a friend today I realized that- maybe he is just switiching to a different kind of food intake now- 8 and a 1/2 months- and it is okay if he has solids more and nurses less.</p>
<p>I can't quite figure it out though. my friend also suggested that he might have more teeth coming in and that owuld cause him to bite while nursing- is this correct?</p>
<p>He is still biting :( not at all in a "mean" way- he is a very loving sweet little one- I mean- I just don't get it- because there are times when it really seems like he is hungry, but he still bites.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have heard lots of people say that babies get it right away when you teach them not to bite but he is still biting and it is making breastfeeding a scary tense time for me. I can't even have dh in the room when I nurse ds right now, I feel like I have to concentrate so hard on not getting bitten!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any more advice? Is it okay if my breasts get full and he doesn't seem to want ot nurse but wants solids instead? (sometimes, I mean)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Today we didn't do the juice water bottle again- I tried a cup and it wasn't working- I don't have really small cup-</p>
<p>but no pooping yet today- I keep feeling like he would really benifit from a bottle of water- like he needs that hydration, but I am reluctant to give him the bottle as I know it will reinforce the biting.</p>
<p>thoughts? Advice?</p>

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<p>I am finally going to make it to the store today to find a small sippy cup (<br>
maybe the bpa free gerbers that someone suggested)</p>
<p>what is the valave and how do you remove it?</p>
<p>So that may be a good solution for the water- right now he has no interest in the random big isppy cup I tried many times to offer him-</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Still trying to figure out the iting. One thing is because I am anxious I pop him off a fair amount during the nirsing- sometimes he doesn't even latch on well- ugh I just hate this challeneg! People always used to ask- how is the breastfeeding going? and I was always like- great!! NOw I am scared of ebeing bitten. ugh</p>

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
<p>I don't have the gerber sippys, but a lot of sippy cups have a rubber piece that pops into the lid that is the valve. we use the take-n-toss sippys, they're light weight and don't have a valve, but the design keeps the liquid from pouring out. </p>

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
<p>OK - About the biting - it may or may not be related to the bottle. I WOHM full-time and my baby gets 3 bottles per day and is BF whenever he is with me. So it's certainly possible to do both. I've been bitten a few times with 2 children and it's always been related to teething OR (most recently) have some "stored food" in his cheeks. I yell - loudly. It's just a normal natural reaction for me. OWWW_ WHat you are you DOING? is what most recently came out. It kind of startles the baby. If it hurts, we stop breastfeeding for a little bit. I'm not a "grin and bear it" kinda gal. If it was a one-time thing, I might try the other side.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>In general, they cannot bite and suck at the same time - it's either or. For me, if I was really sore, I removed the baby, got up and completely stopped the nursing and did something else for 30 minutes or an hour until I felt better. Then we could nurse again. It wasn't a huge, huge problem but it does happen. It's OK for  you to set the tone and say if it hurts, you aren't going to bite. I always sort of followed animals as my model. I figure they don't think about things to much - if it hurts, you yelp and if it **** hurst you stop that activity.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It's OK for your breasts to get a little full - but you do want to make sure they are emptied and that you don't get plugged ducts leading to worse problems. Nursing will help with that. Again - pain is the signal that they NEED to be emptied - first choice is with the baby, or by hand expression or through a pump.</p>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts