Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I went to a diff health store tonight and they had all kinds of different probiotics. I bought the Jarrow b/c I had read ppl on here use it (am I impressionable or what
), it was pretty $$$, is their a big diff b/w all the kinds?
They didn't have a baby Jarrow, but the one I have says it can be used for adults and babes.
It's the Jarro-Dophilus +FOS powder. Does anyone know anything about this kind?
Also, is it ok for babes? It says it is, but I want experienced ppls' response as well

Dh had some concerns, and wants to know if the good bacteria doesn't naturally reproduce- why take this? He was wondering about side effects, or if it's possible to give her too much (not intentionally- it says 1/8 of a teaspoon for babes, might not be the most accurate to measure this)
Also, the lady at the store said ppl usually take it when they start to feel sick. Do you guys and your babes take it all the time, cycle it, or just when you start to feel sick?

Thanks so much!

· Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Bacteria ARE capable of reproduction, that's not the issue. The issue is that many are transient -- they don't always adhere to the mucosa -- so they have to continually be replaced via environmental exposure. If she has too much at once she may get gassy and her stools may be looser than normal. The green label Jarrow (which is what I think you have) is actually what's in my fridge right now. For a nice blend & potency like that it's actually one of the less expensive brands. Cheaper ones tend to have only 1-2 bacterial strains. For little bitty babes I do prefer the baby Jarrow because it has different Bifidobacterial content but if I couldn't get it, this is the one I'd probably use (and have used) instead. We take it on a daily basis because it effects the way your immune system behaves all the time.

· Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so so much. Yes, I have the green jar. I asked about the Baby Jarrow, and the lady hadn't heard of it, so I'm assuming they won't be carrying it at all. I started taking it last night for myself, and gave her some today.
Thanks again for the great info!

· Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More questions if anyone knows. Dh sent me this

Quote:
SIgA greatly benefits breast-feeding infants because it coats their intestinal tract with "anti-septic paint", thus protecting the infant
from bacterial and viral invasions from such pathogens as E. coli,
poliovirus, streptococi, staphylococci, and pneumococci."
--------

so why take probiotics if it won't "stick" to the intestines?
Or does it stick anyway?
and

Quote:
The gut flora of exclusively breast-fed infants is colonized almost entirely with friendly bacteria: lactobacilli and bifido-bacteria.

================

again, why give satine jarro? is it really required?? is it diferent
bacteria?
marketing scam? what can you believe?
Any thoughts? I'm going to give it to dd and I for a bit, but was wondering something else. If you can have too much bad bacteria, can you have too much good bacteria? If you take it everyday, will you have too much?

Thanks!

· Premium Member
5,606 Posts
No, they don't "stick" as I mentioned before, that's why they have to be continually replaced. And really, you don't want them to stick in there. Their presence as they pass through to stimulate proper immune function, synthesize nutrients and directly act against pathogens is a great thing, but you wouldn't want them all growing into the intestinal tissue. Probiotic bacteria (lactobacilli & bifidobacteria) actually enhance the production of sIgA against potential pathogens such as S. pneumo, Staph aureus, Hib, Clostridia & Salmonella not only in the intestines but even in the respiratory tract via stimulation of MALT (mucosa associated lymphoid tissue). They also decrease the production of IgE which plays a role in the development of allergies. SIgA contained in breastmilk is of importance because children's sIgA production isn't mature until about 4 years of age so mama's milk helps protect them until their system has learned to start making its own.

To say that the gut flora of bf infants is nearly entirely beneficial isn't really accurate. Acquisition of these bacteria is greatly dependent on a number of factors -- mode of delivery, maternal flora status, medications given to mom & baby, medical interventions around the time of birth, etc. Though breastfed babies do tend to have more bifidobacteria than ff infants, and they tend to have less clostridia than ff infants, what bacteria are present and in what numbers is variable. This is a big part of why research is being done on probiotic supplemented infant formula.

Quote:
again, why give satine jarro? is it really required?? is it diferent
All depends on your situation. Like I mentioned above, microbial ecology is a dynamic situation dependent on lots of factors. Is it different?? Depends on what you mean -- it contains several probiotic strains of lactobacilli and bifidobacteria. They're all beneficial, but whether a specific individual actually has them as part of their flora is dependent. If you have faith it's all good for her then don't give it. If you feel there are any factors that may mean it's not all good for her, then give it. As for adverse effects, the only issues I am aware of in scientific literature are the occurrence of gas and bloating like I mentioned previously and the potential for infection in people with immune disorders.

Quote:
marketing scam? what can you believe?
No, it's not a scam. The health effects are very real & documented quite well in peer reviewed medical journals.

· Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nak
thanks, dh looks at the science of everything, so i didn't know how to respond to his questions. he isn't against using the probiotics and said he'd take them, but just wantd to know more about it. u have been a huge help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.