Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some Gerber diaper pins at Target today (happily surprised to find them there). Can someone explain to me how to pin the prefold without stabbing me or her? Any tips or tricks? Are the Gerber ones okay?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
793 Posts
be sure to keep your pins stuck in a bar of soap. I took a small bar and put it into a baby sock then put my pins in it. It makes the pins just slide through the fabric!

I love to use a large prefold - so large that when I pull the wings to the front I can use 1 pin to secure both wings with one pin.

Always put your hand underneath the diaper and on top your baby's skin that way you only poke yourself

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I am so glad to have a use for those singleton baby socks. The pins look big and thick - is that okay?

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
The gerber's will work but if you can buy some dritz pins. They are awesome and go thru the material so much easier.

I do my fold and then poke it thru the wing and just barely thru the next layer so it catches and then up thru the other side of the prefold. I think it's important to fill up almost all of the pin with material (does that make sense?) so that there is less room for it to move around. I do mine like / \ well not as vertical but with the head of the pin towards the top.

There's definitely a learning curve and your babe will have to be patient and hold still but once you get it down it's easy and more secure than a snappi IMO.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just tried them and they weren't too hard to get through the fabric - thanks to the soap tip. I see what you mean about filling up the whole pin because it loosened up in her legs. But, it's just as tight as I ever get it with a snappi and it doesn't seem to dig into her waist and vulva like the snappi does. So far, I like them!
My partner thinks they are very cute but made certain I had no expectations that she uses them

1 - 6 of 6 Posts