Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so excited! Dh and I have been talking about possibly moving to CO for several years now and are almost ready to act on it. We are planning on hopefully moving the the Boulder area in late Spring 07. I'm thrilled! Hopefully we'll make a few trips out there this fall and early spring to tour some neighborhoods and check out the area.

Tell me, what are your favorite places? What's the homeschool climate like? I probably wont have any more kids, but in case I do, what's the homebirthing/ midwifery climate? Tell me your favorite part(s) of where you live and why? Just, go ahead and flood me with information!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi--just wanted to say that we will be making treks to check out neighborhoods, schools, etc. this fall, for our move to Boulder--likely in June 2007--would love to hear about your progress in these areas, especially the schools, as there are many intriguing ones available--but, I don't know about waiting lists, geographic preferences, etc. . .Good luck--Amy

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well I can't help with the school situation since it's not a concern yet. I live in Broomfield which is about 10 miles south east of Boulder. I like living here. Our neighborhood is next to the large open space area that covers Westminster and Broomfield. It has great trails and nature stuff. We saw a beaver and a coyote on our last bike ride through there. Broomfield has lots of bike trails (so do many of the communities in this area). We have a great rec center with a large indoor pool with slides. That is one mile from my house. They also offer lots of organized sports, classes, and events for kids. The library has lots of great programs and is about 3 miles from the house. We can bicycle there easily. All of the neighborhoods in this area have playgrounds and open grassy spaces. I live 2 blocks from 2 different playgrounds.
Broomfield is a little lower than the surrounding area so we get less snow. It is also less windy than the northern cities like Erie.
Broomfield and the surrounding areas (Erie, Lafayette, Westminster, etc. ) are cheaper than Boulder. I think the traffic in Boulder is pretty horrendous but heavy traffic bothers me more than other people.
Consider some of the communities near Boulder when looking around. They don't have the beautiful mature trees like Boulder but they offer a lot of other things.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input Hellen. We're looking in surrounding cities such as Broomfield, Layfette, Louisville, and Longmont, but for now it is just looking- we need to get our ducks in a row before we can get truly serious.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hello,

I lived in Boulder for 8 years before moving to Louisville 4 years ago. We are expecting our first baby in October and could not be happier living in this area. There is so much to do with a baby and children. We moved to Louisville because it was just too expensive to buy in Boulder. It takes under 10 minutes to get to Boulder from where we live. I personally think that Louisville is the best Boulder suburb to live in with Lafayette being next and a close tie between Longmont and Broomfield. I base this on appearance, natural food markets, quality of housing and accessability to Boulder. But Longmont and Broomfield do have cheaper real estate and their are some nice areas. Broomfield is made up of many newer subdivisions, row homes, and strip malls. I could be wrong but I don't think it has a "downtown" area. Longmont is an older town that is starting to come around. There is lots of new construction along the outskirts and people are starting to fix up some of the old neighborhoods. Although a good portion of Longmont is still run down and I personally would not want to live in those areas.

Regarding schooling, I am not there yet but do have lots of friends with school age kids. There are many Montissori and Waldorf schools in Boulder, lots of great pre schools and the public school are very good also. You will have a lot to choose from. Most of them do open enrollment.

I am having a home birth with a midwife who I love. There are lots of HB midwives here who are all wonderful. I am a doula and find it to be very birth friendly here. We unfortunately don't have any nurse midwives practicing here in any hospitals. There use to be an OB practice in Longmont that had midwives on staff that just recently let them all go because of insurance reasons. Nor do we have a birth center. It is mostly all because of $$ and insurance.
But we are very home birth friendly and I love that.

If you come to Boulder you can't loose checking out Pearl Street. It is our big tourist destination. Full of overpriced but cute shops, street performers, places for the kids to play, yummy food (I'll talk about that later). The neighborhoods surrounding Pearl Street are so worth getting lost in. Beautiful houses, cottages, lots of big trees, creeks, pocket parks, etc. We have a wonderful farmers market on Wed and Sat's.

We have so many amazing restaurants here. Next to San Fran, Boulder is my favorite place to eat. If you want a really nice meal check out The Kitchen (on the west end of Pearl) or Mateo (on the east end of Pearl.) More casual and cheaper restaurants are Sushi Zanmai (on Spruce St) or BJ's Brewery (Pub food on Pearl), you really can't go wrong. Except for the chains. I think the only big food chain on Pearl is The Cheesecake Factory, yuk. With so many good local places to choose from, don't go there.

Take a drive down Mapleton St. It is a few block north of Pearl St between 11th and 3rd. It is a beautiful boulevard with lots of big houses. Get out and walk around. My husband and I love taking walks in that area. He is an architect and we love looking at all the places. If only we had millions!

We have a great creek (Boulder Creek) that passes through most of Boulder. A good place to start is at the Boulder Public Library at 9th and Arapahoe. It is so pretty and a great place to get cool if it is hot outside.

The weather here is amazing! Sunny all the time, mild winters, if it snows, it is usually melted the next day. We may have a few cold weeks where you need a winter jacket and winter gear, and a few hot weeks in the summer but most of the time you can always be outside. My only complaint is how dry it is. I grew up on the east coast 2 blocks from the ocean and I feel totally land locked here. My husband travels to SF a few times a year and a good few days at Ocean Beach will hold me over for a while.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask me anything else!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for all the details about the Boulder area. We are very excited about all the opportunities for kids--we have two amazing daughters, ages 3 and 5--haven't ruled out another baby--nice to know the area is hb friendly. My husband is a builder who also designs "green" homes--maybe you have some info. about the job market and community interest --we are visiting in late October to check out schools and housing--Boulder prices seem out of reach--what do you think about the outer mountain areas--Nederland, Jamestown, etc.? I would love to hear more--Best, Amy

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hi, great about your husbands job. My husband works on high end custom homes in Vail area but his office is in Boulder and we have lots of friends in the industry. There are a few good firms that build green, I would be happy to pm you some names. The building market in Boulder is slow going for new construction mostly because there is not much open buildable space. But there are lots of residential remodels going on, and a few big "tear down" commercial lots that are getting new buildings on them. Boulder loves "mixed use" new urbanism downtown. There is good interest in Build Green and we do have a few friends who specialize in it, (as architects not builders).

Nederland is great, the best pick for sure. It is about 25 minutes up a pretty windy canyon west of Boudler. It is very self sufficient, with a big grocery store, schools, a nice community, good variety of housing. It does snow a lot more there and it sticks around. Jamestown is more rustic, I think it has more of a market and a small "western" town. Stay away from Ward, I am sure there is some good housing somewhere, but for the most part, it is very run down, pretty back woods feeling. Another place you may want to look is Lyons. It is a 20 minutes (non-mountain) drive north of Boulder and is a great little town. It is on the way to Estes Park and is a very cute small town. I would consider moving there myself and I have gotten picky after 12 years of living here.

Happy Exploring! It is really great here! Let me know if there is anything else! Warmly-Kat

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi there! I graduated from CU about 6 years ago, and my husband and I are currently living in Honolulu (talk about expensive to buy!!) We think about moving back to Boulder all the time, but I recently ran into someone who said she tried it for a few years and found that the "keeping up with the Joneses" was just too much there. That really bugged me seeing as we are on one income and will be for some time. What is the attitude like there? Is it pretty rampant consumerism or are you able to find a nice simple life there? I would hate for my daughter to grow up surrounded by all that junk. I guess I worry about her being judged at school for having all sorts of things. What is your experience with that, Kat?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hi! I don't think that rampant consumerism is that bad. On Pearl Street, being so touristy, it can be a bit much at times. I am really sensitive to consumerism and I feel it the worst in my husbands small home town in Pennsylvania. All there is is one Walmart and I totally freak out going there. Here in Boudler, there are lots of small groceries, farmers markets, great consignment shops. I just do my best to stay out of Target and focus on all the wonderful things Boulder does have. Like the great parks, trails, views, nice people etc. My one complaint is that there is very little cultural diversity. It tries with different festivals and things like that, but it is just very white.

Keeping up with the Jones can get you down if you let it. I don't. I have many good friends that are in a much better financial position then we are. We are on one income also, and live in a condo in Louisville. Most of my friends are also on one income but live in houses in Boulder. It really does not bother me. I love my life and try to focus on that. One thing I have learned is that things are not always as they seem. So the couple or child who "seems" to have everything, may be lacking in love at home, for example. It's not like you see little kids riding around in their powered Hummer kid cars. They are on their bikes with their parents!
Warmly-Kat

·
Registered
467 Posts
One more thing kailasmommy, the fact that you even care about consumerism and teaching your daughter values says alot. Keep it up. By teaching her what is really imporant (family, love, gratitude, etc.) I am sure that you can find a good balance with the outside world wherever you are.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.