Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
When I first read this in the news a few weeks ago, my thoughts instantly went to vaccines. There are bovine ingredients in them and it would make sense if they assumed it couldn't be transmitted why would they bother even testing. I mean look at the sv40 virus in the polio vaccines. This (in addition to the fact that I am vegetarian and against research animals and animal testing) is yet another reason why I will not use them.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Have no fear! They're already talking about a vaccine, even before they know what the cause is! Makes perfect sense, right? (sarcasm at its worst). How they are always so motivated to jump on the vaccine trail so quickly. This is interesting. I started to look into it and will continue.

The researchers are still unsure of how BLV is transmitted to humans. According to Buehring, that is the most important question that needs to be answered. In the meantime, she said she hopes her research will inspire others to develop a vaccine.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SilverMoon, that was one of my initial thoughts too. Glad you're looking at it.

In the link that I posted above, table #3 is a list of bovine viruses with human host range that are likely not to be detected by 9CFR testing. You will see bovine leukemia virus listed there. I couldn't read anything but the title here, but again not reassuring
http://www.nature.com/nbt/journal/v11/n1/abs/nbt0193-49.html

I'm looking at the possibility of direct animal to human transmission, improper pasteurization of dairy products, under cooked meat etc. but I have to wonder how much more likely problems would be to arise in the contaminated vaccine scenario. With the media campaign to vaccine your daughter now with an HPV vaccine that may or may not reduce the incidence of cancer in the future, it seems like finding out if this virus is in pharma products that would bypass primary host defenses in the event of injection, would be urgent?

Profe, I had no idea how they collected fetal bovine serum. That was a horrendous read.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3206158/table/T3/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts