Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The day before my son has a bowel movement and the day after he has a bowel movement, i've noticed my son gets a rash on his face. I also noticed that he hiccups and has more refluxy sounds on the day he has a bowel movement. The next day, his hiccupping stops, but his face is often slightly rashy.<br><br>
Anyone else? weird?

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
If he's not pooping daily, that's a sign something is up. Pooping clears toxins from the body, so sometimes you can get rashes and reactions from not clearing them (they get reabsorbed if poop isn't frequent). Sounds like it could be some gut flora issues - is he on any probiotics?<br><br>
ETA: Sorry, first question - how old is your son? Some EBF babies don't poop every day and it's not a problem, I should have thought to ask that first!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Sounds like a food allergy or intolerance to me. My son has delayed reactions like this....I've noticed that he doesn't break out in a rash until the offending food is in the intestines and being eliminated from the body. Since this is where food is absorbed into the body it makes sense. Try keeping a food journal and see if you can find a link.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My son is currently 45% Elecare, 50% b.f. and 5% solids (prunes, chicken, rice, applesauce, grapes). He doesn't eat much solids at all. So, I guess since he isn't eating much solids he doesn't have a b.m. everyday? He has a b.m. every 3 to 5 days.<br><br>
Right before his B.M. and right after his B.M. his eczema seems to flare up on his face only, and his reflux will be worse after his B.M. w/hiccupping. The next day, there's usually no hiccupping, but the eczema is still there. By the 3rd day, his eczema starts to subside & his face looks clear.<br><br>
I don't understand this at all - that is, the offending food is already IN HIM after he ingests it. From the stomach to the intestines is immediate, no? so why is there a problem when he has his b.m. ? You'd think his skin/reflux would be much better after all that waste is out of his system????<br><br>
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
It might not be an offending food. Could be toxins from yeast/bacteria in the gut, get stored up and get reabsorbed, until he poops (it sounds like the eczema gets triggered before he poops).<br><br>
Pooping isn't necessarily related to solids - many exclusively breastfed babies poop several times a day.<br><br>
Is this a recent thing? Has he always been on Elecare, or is that somewhat new? What are you eating (are you restricting any foods)?

·
Registered
886 Posts
for a number of months maybe from 9m to 24m my ds eczema would definitely get worse the longer he went between bm. he would have a bm and then get some relief. i always assumed this was his body re absorbing toxins from the many days of poop sitting around inside. this doesn't happen anymore now that we are addressing his gut issues and eliminated his obvious problem foods.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just want to say that dd gets hiccups soon after eating foods that her body doesn't like, so it's an allergic/intolerance symptom for us.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts