Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My six-month-old doesn't like the boxed infant cereals, and I don't know what I can give her that she WILL eat in the cereal category. Can I just make real oatmeal/brown rice and blend them up for her or is there something special about the boxed stuff? I wouldn't want to eat the boxed stuff, either.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You could make your own ceral with brown rice and oatmeal. I didnt want to give my dd ceral out of the box because I did not want her to have hydrogenated oils which most boxed infant cerals have in them. Here is a site that has a recipe for homemade brown rice ceral <a href="http://www.recipegoldmine.com/baby/baby.html" target="_blank">http://www.recipegoldmine.com/baby/baby.html</a><br><br>
I have not made this recipe. I actually skipped the whole cereal part and just started with fruits and veggies.<br><br>
HTH

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Here are a few of my baby cereal recipes:<br><br>
Ground Rice, Barley, Quinoa, or Millet Cereal<br><br>
In dry skillet over medium heat, toast 1 to 2 cups brown rice, barley, quinoa, or millet for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Grains should begin to pop. Cool completely. Store in covered jar.<br><br>
To serve: Grind desired amount of toasted grain to fine powder in seed grinder or blender. Whisk together 1 part cereal powder and 6 parts water. Bring to a boil, and simmer uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes, or until soft and smooth.<br><br>
Variation: For the rest of the family, use 1 part cereal to 4 parts water. Cook 15 to 20 minutes.<br><br>
Cooked Rice Cereal<br><br>
Place 1/2 cup brown rice in 3 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for one hour. Rice should be very soft, so cook longer if necessary. It is okay if water is not completely absorbed. Puree cereal in blender. Add extra water if needed for a thin, smooth texture. Refrigerate or freeze extra cereal.<br><br>
Tip: To heat up refrigerated leftovers, mix desired amount of food with boiling water. The water will thin it out and bring the food to room temperature.<br><br>
Baby Oatmeal<br><br>
Place 1 to 2 cups rolled oats in blender or food pro-cessor. Grind to fine powder. Store in covered jar.<br><br>
To serve: Whisk together 1 part oat powder and 3 parts water. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, or until soft and smooth. Add more water if necessary for a thin texture.<br><br>
Also, you might want to try giving your baby avocado. It's very easy for baby to digest and doesn't cause constipation (like cereals and bananas can). Just mash a ripe avocado with a little water or breast milk.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts