Mothering Forum banner

boy called 911, was ig'd, and his mama died

278 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  boingo82
THis discussion started in TAO and was closed and referred here to N&CE.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=435795
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
The worst part is the little boy called twice and BOTH times was ignored. Unbelievable.
Check out "This breaks my heart, (death mentioned.) It is towards the bottom of the page.
I live in the Detroit area, and I can tell you this is symptomatic of even larger problems with the Detroit Police Department. It's very difficult to get the Detroit PD to respond to a 911 call. A coworker of mine called to report that someone was breaking into their house, and the police showed up 5 hours later. The shocking thing was not that it took them 5 hours to show up, but that they showed up at all. Another coworker's neighbor called to report someone was breaking into their house, only to be told "sorry, there's no one available that we can send out." He called back and said "I just shot the person who broke in" (he hadn't). They sent out a car right away. I could go on and on. There is a culture of lawlessness here, and the police department's ineffectiveness is a large part of it.

My heart breaks for that little boy, and I'm glad they're suing. Someone needs to hold the City of Detroit accountable.
See less See more
That poor little boy and his family. That's terrible! I hope they win too, hopefully things can be changed and this won't happen in the future.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasingPeace
I live in the Detroit area, and I can tell you this is symptomatic of even larger problems with the Detroit Police Department. It's very difficult to get the Detroit PD to respond to a 911 call. A coworker of mine called to report that someone was breaking into their house, and the police showed up 5 hours later. The shocking thing was not that it took them 5 hours to show up, but that they showed up at all. Another coworker's neighbor called to report someone was breaking into their house, only to be told "sorry, there's no one available that we can send out." He called back and said "I just shot the person who broke in" (he hadn't). They sent out a car right away. I could go on and on. There is a culture of lawlessness here, and the police department's ineffectiveness is a large part of it.
OMG. That is horrible.
Is it possible that the problems are actually higher up in the gov't. that's causing the p.d. to be ineffective? Lack of funding, therefore lack of officers?

Quote:

My heart breaks for that little boy, and I'm glad they're suing. Someone needs to hold the City of Detroit accountable.
:
See less See more
Quote:

...Another coworker's neighbor called to report someone was breaking into their house, only to be told "sorry, there's no one available that we can send out." He called back and said "I just shot the person who broke in" (he hadn't). They sent out a car right away..
http://www.snopes.com/crime/safety/response.htm
1 - 8 of 8 Posts