Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The effiminate thread reminded me of this. Nathan's just starting pretend play and has me make his teddy bears drink water from a glass for fun. He has a hard time figuring out where their mouths are so I wanted to get him a doll - a boy doll. My husband is SO against this but I think if I look hard enough or get creative enough I can change his mind.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
my MIL got Rowan a boy doll that i love! it's the kind that has all of the velcro, zippers, buttons, laces, etc. for practicing...i'll see if i can find a link for it. DH was totally for it, especially because it's a doll with an educational *purpose*, kwim? of course rowan gets the biggest kick out of throwing it across the room, but we figure he'll eventually get the jist of it. LOL

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
My son is getting a anatomically correct boy baby. My daughter is getting a girl. They were 14.00 each at www.kidsurplus.com I believe.

Dh is not real fond of the idea, but I have a secret weapon. He used to carry around a Cabbage Patch baby doll. He never shared the story with me but his mom has pictures.

I think it is great that your son takes such good care of his teddy bears. A doll would be a great present. If I think of anything regarding your dh I'll repost.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Angelbee--that is great!

As for DHs who oppose dolls--why? There is a great song called William's Doll on the Free To Be You And Me CD. All daddies should have to listen to it.

Anyway, I don't know your DH's personality, but I know friends for whom this has worked. You could explain that he is a great daddy. DS sees him holding him, feeding him taking care of him, and just like with the hammer and saw, he wants to be like him. He sees daddy nurture little people, and he wants to do it too. "He is just learning about fatherhood from you, dear."

·
Registered
1,738 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
DS has a "lots to love" baby doll - they have boys though ds picked a girl so we have a girl. A pp mentioned Cabbage Patch Kids....those are back and they have boys.

As for your dh resisting - William's Doll is also available as a book and is specifically about a dad resisting getting his son a doll - it is a sweet story. Also, why don't you play to his ego? Afterall, your son is just trying to act like mom & DAD. If your dh is involved in parenting and your ds wants to pretend to parent how is that at all unexpected? I mean your ds is just wanting to play at doing the same tasks as his two biggest role models. The way I look at it, kids can use dolls to pretend to be parents, doctors, nurses, police firemen, etc. One of my friends dd is always pretending to be a firewoman and save her dolls....

Peace and Much Love to your Sweet Boy,
BJ
Barney & Ben

·
Registered
865 Posts
I made Duncan some boy dolls (waldorf style), and I'm making a girl doll today probably (it's so darn cold out). Dh has no problem with DS having dolls or anything. DH actually plays with DS with them. DS really prefers cars and trucks and stuff, but he has started throwing him down his slide or putting them in his car. He was biting the new one today (I call him little Duncan because I tried to make him look like DS).

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
My dh jokes that ds doll (he's had it for 4 years - its a hand-me-down from his older brother..) isnt really a doll, its an action figure.
Mostly 'cause it drives his parents nuts he has a doll and its his way of shutting them up.

I love the pp ideas of telling your dh that ds is just modeling his nurturing behaviour.

I've seen the cabbage patch boy dolls and they really are quite cute. One came with a little soccer ball - very sweet!

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
My boys have LOTS of baby dolls! Their current favorite is a little anatomically correct cloth boy doll that came with his own potty and cloth diaper (right up your alley, Jenn!). The dolls come in all different races, girl and boy versions. We didn't buy ours online, but they do sell them here:

http://www.KidsandGrandKids.com/cgi-...play&id=**id** (click on "anatomically correct" under the dolls section to the left, and then scroll down to see the potty dolls).

Very cute. My boys have other cloth "boy" dolls, but they're always wondering where their penises are.

If you get a doll with a potty (I think there are other companies that make them), you could justify it to dh by saying that it's helping you with your ECing (not that I think buying a doll for a boy needs any justification!).

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by michelemiller
my MIL got Rowan a boy doll that i love! it's the kind that has all of the velcro, zippers, buttons, laces, etc. for practicing...i'll see if i can find a link for it. DH was totally for it, especially because it's a doll with an educational *purpose*, kwim? of course rowan gets the biggest kick out of throwing it across the room, but we figure he'll eventually get the jist of it. LOL
I found this doll last night in real life but only in the girl version!
It was pink and frilly and would not have gone over but I'll be keeping my eyes out for the boy version!

I love the potty dolls on that site! A little pricey but not as bad as some, I'll show them to Dan.

I looked at the cabbage patch dolls last night too, I'm going to have to talk to him a bit about that one. We're doing after Christmas shopping - well, after Christmas! lol

I'm totally going to talk to Dan about the nurturing aspect of Nathan's pretend play! We'll see how far I get with that, Dan isn't as active a parent as I am but he's just as oppinionated!
: I'll save that rant for another day!

That ebay doll was stunning but my husband would go beserk if I bought a doll for $70! How big is it? It must be huge!! LOL Beautiful doll though!

I SO wish Dan had used a doll as a child, I know my uncle did and he turned out fine! His cabbage patch was named Gunther! :LOL

I'm going to keep working on this. He brings me his teddies constantly (he has two) so we can play with them. Like I said, he can't figure out where the mouths are so I think he would do better with a nice soft doll.

Thanks again for all of your help, oh and I looked up MyTwinn and those start at $120
and another website where the dolls were even more similar to the children with no price so we can guess how much those are!

·
Registered
207 Posts
We have a genderless doll from Target or somewhere, it was like $2. Ds LOVES it. He actually has several dolls, some wear blue and some wear purple, but mostly they are naked. He loves to nurse them and put them to bed. My brother teased me and ds about them until I pointed out that boys that play with dolls will grow to be dads who play with their kids.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JennInSeattle
That ebay doll was stunning but my husband would go beserk if I bought a doll for $70! How big is it? It must be huge!! LOL Beautiful doll though!

It's 15 " Waldorf dolls are too pricey for me - I'm going to try and make similer dolls for DD once I get my act in gear
. Hope you find a doll your DS loves.

·
Registered
644 Posts
my dh is very supportive of boys with dolls...the day after we saw on the ultrasound that ds was a boy, we went out and bought him a boy cabbage patch kid...it is awesome...we are aging punk rockers and totally fell for the spikey hair and combat boots...he even had his pockets stuffed with little toys and a little lizard, which we also loved coz we had an iguana at the time! now our ds loves his baby boy doll!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I looked for a boy doll and picked up Diego from Dora the explorer. He is funky enough that DH goes along with it and he speak some spanish too! DS loves to push him in his stroller,( a ficsher price in primary colors) . I love to see him nuturing.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
AngelBee said:
Dh is not real fond of the idea, but I have a secret weapon. He used to carry around a Cabbage Patch baby doll. He never shared the story with me but his mom has pictures.

QUOTE]
I just have to share even though its kinda OT...
picture this:
ds fresh out of the tub..in all his glory this morning.. my Brother and His wife come in w/his presents for Christmas..ok now its 20 mins later my ds STILL in all his glory..only dry now.. in teddy bear slippers (ONLY) pretending to vacumm with his new toy dirt devil and multitask "nursing" his new cabbage patch baby doll..needless to say I have Black mail pics for his future SO in case he gets the "no dolls for boys" bug up his bum..
hehe just had to share.
heheh Happy Holidays!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lexbeach
http://www.KidsandGrandKids.com/cgi-...play&id=**id** (click on "anatomically correct" under the dolls section to the left, and then scroll down to see the potty dolls).
We just ordered the little hispanic boy with potty, b/c there wasn't a little asian boy, and actually the hispanic boy looks a lot like Dante. We're EC'ing, and can't wait to have the first doll for our 15 month-old. Thanks so much for the link!

·
Registered
215 Posts
DS has his teddy bear which I dont' think of as a doll..he used to carry it..but usually forgets it now..unless I remind him..he did own a Dora Dancing/Singing doll..which wasn't to my hubby's liking..bt I didn't care ..DS loved it! I even thought of making his 2nd birthday theme of Dora..but hubby insisted it was to girly so we went with Spongebob..
Here's a pic of DS giving Boo' to his baby as he calls it..
http://img97.exs.cx/img97/4917/babyboo9it.jpg

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
DS has several dolls, some were mine when I was little and some I bought for him. He is fascinated with babies so of course I got him a baby toy. He needs to practice being a daddy, afterall. He has a Graco baby stroller that is dark blue and yellow just like his real stroller. He loves to push it around the house and on walks. I bought him a "waterbaby" doll that is dressed like a Dalmation from 101 Dalmations. It is a girl, I guess, but doesn't have long hair or anything, plus it looks like a puppy. We say its a boy.

HEre is the Shrek one, there are all sorts of disney ones.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=glance&s=toys

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.