Mothering Forum banner

Boy oh boy oh boy!

690 Views 15 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  MistyB
Ok, how well can you tell at 14 weeks???

I had an ob appointment today. Short history: I'm having a homebirth with two wonderful midwives, but they require I establish backup care with an ob in case problems arise in pregnancy or delivery to facilitate easy transfer. The only ob they have established links with doesn't take my insurance. They found someone in the next county north (30 miles) that they'd heard had done backup care for women using some of the Amish midwives around this area. I was advised by the midwives to only ask the ob directly, and not the office staff or nurse. So I made an appointment and this guy is wonderful. It seems like his appointments are much like midwife appointments, with an emphasis on discussion. He agreed to back me with no questions asked, and proceeded to tell me that his philosophy is to more or less follow the mom's lead on all aspects of care.

He did offer an ultrasound. It sounded like he preferred a transvaginal u/s, but I requested it be abdominal because, well, I'm not interested in anyone sticking that *thing* up *there*. The baby is a-ok, with a heartbeat of 153, measuring between 13w4d and 14w5d (depending on the measurement) and he was very clear that everything is +/- 10 days. Since I know I'm 13w6d, I see that as pretty good. We briefly caught a glimpse of something that looked an awful lot like BOY parts, but we couldn't get a second look. The placenta looked fairly high, forward and to the right. That explains why I've only been feeling flutters on the left side. No great pictures, but this one's a thinker. During most of the u/s he was in a Rodin Thinker pose.

I hadn't realized how stressed I was about finding backup care. I suddenly feel so much better about things, and I'm now confident that everything will go well for the remainder of this pregnancy.
See less See more
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Wendy,

Thats great! Not sure how accurate at 14 weeks though. Is this OB anywhere around me? I'm still looking for a OB/GYN for GYN issues.....LOL He sounds great.
Waaaay up in Delaware.

I know about the accuracy --err lack of accuracy -- at 14 weeks. But for the minute we were focused on that part, they really looked like all the boy parts I've ever seen!

We're going to do a 20 week u/s for an anatomical check, so we'll hopefully get confirmation then.
Wendy,

Congratulations on finding a great OB!!! And exciting about a possible boy

Quote:
No great pictures, but this one's a thinker. During most of the u/s he was in a Rodin Thinker pose.
Why am I *SO* not surprised that your child is a thinker??? :LOL

You are one of the most thoughtful people I know, and I know a lot of thoughtful people!

Congratulations again on finding good OB care
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by wawoof
Congratulations on finding a great OB!!!
I really hadn't realized how stressed I was about finding care. As soon as he walked in the room, made eye contact and shook my hand, I knew he was great.

Quote:
You are one of the most thoughtful people I know, and I know a lot of thoughtful people!
Awwww, shucks. Thanks!
:
See less See more
Yay!!!! Geo I'm so glad to hear things are going well...and little boy bits....So have you finally rounded a little, my concave friend?

so happy for you!
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by babybugmama
Yay!!!! Geo I'm so glad to hear things are going well...and little boy bits....So have you finally rounded a little, my concave friend?

Err, I still need to post more belly picts, but I really could just copy and paste the previous pictures and change the date.

I'm still wearing my size 10 jeans zipped up and buttoned.

That was part of the reason why I agreed to the ultrasound. Even though I can feel my uterus way up there, I still have no clear external indications that I'm actually pregnant.
See less See more
You know with dd I didn't really show at all until I was into my fourth month...no one even knew until toward the end of my fifth (I just looked like I was getting fat by that time). But...my boobs did get tender so that was my external indicator

I'm glad the ultrasound gave you that reassurance. You've just got great stomach muscles! The babes have to just push harder to make you're belly curve.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geofizz
Waaaay up in Delaware.

I know about the accuracy --err lack of accuracy -- at 14 weeks. But for the minute we were focused on that part, they really looked like all the boy parts I've ever seen!

We're going to do a 20 week u/s for an anatomical check, so we'll hopefully get confirmation then.

Delaware isn't actually too far from me. How long did it take you to get there from where you live? Could you pm me his info so I can see if he take our insurance
See less See more
Wendy,

That's wonderful that you found a great doctor. And so exciting to see the babe!
That's so wonderful!!! I hope everything continues to go well for you!!

(and dangit, as much as I'm set against finding out the sex of this baby -- just like times before -- your post makes me giddy at the thought of knowing .... especially about a boy!)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wawoof
Why am I *SO* not surprised that your child is a thinker??? :LOL

Here, here. I'll second that!!!
:

Congrats on finding an OB you like... and possibly a boy inside!
Isn't that what the Chinese predictor chart said for you?
See less See more
That's wonderful, Geo!
I was moving to Germany the next week and my NP offered to check. They didn't know how soon I would be able to transition into care after I moved. The ultrasound was totally clear.
MistiB, that's a big move! Best of luck with it!

Spark, yeah the Chinese chart predicted boy. Geez, how do you remember these things? I doubt I remember a single other person's prediction.
Anyways, I've more or less felt it was a boy the whole time. We'll get another peek in a few weeks, hopefully.
See less See more
moving 2 hours away during this pregnancy so not like I am totally getting off easy this time.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.