Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061029/...een_bus_driver

Quote:
"I drove that bus better than most of the LYNX drivers could," the teen, who is too young to drive legally, told a deputy after he was stopped and arrested. "There isn't a scratch on it. I know how to start it, drive it, lower it, raise it."........Passengers and deputies noted Davis drove the bus at normal speeds and made all the appropriate stops on the route
I think it's funny. I hope they go easier on him cause he did no damage or harmed anyone.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Quote:
He was charged with grand theft auto and driving without a license. A court hearing was scheduled Tuesday to determine whether he will be charged as an adult.
Too young to drive, but he might be tried as adult...

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirPentor View Post
Too young to drive, but he might be tried as adult...
:

I still think it's hysterical that he'd go steal a bus and then drive it safely along the normal bus route. Somehow I think of auto thieves as going on "joy rides", not playing bus driver.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
:

I still think it's hysterical that he'd go steal a bus and then drive it safely along the normal bus route. Somehow I think of auto thieves as going on "joy rides", not playing bus driver.
Yes I agree that it's very funny!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I think an effective punishment would be several hundred or thousand hours of cleaning the buses at the end of the line. It would punish him, do something helpful for the community, and foster his love of buses. Maybe he could be a bus driver once he can do it legally. The last thing needed is to try him as an adult. That would surely change a young offender who made a mistake into a lifelong adult criminal. We've all seen the statistics. Trying children as adults is totally ineffective and dangerous to society at large.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by skybluepink02
I think an effective punishment would be several hundred or thousand hours of cleaning the buses at the end of the line. It would punish him, do something helpful for the community, and foster his love of buses. Maybe he could be a bus driver once he can do it legally. The last thing needed is to try him as an adult. That would surely change a young offender who made a mistake into a lifelong adult criminal. We've all seen the statistics. Trying children as adults is totally ineffective and dangerous to society at large.
:

Well, I guess he had a pretty productive day though. I wonder what he was thinking about or how long he had planned to play bus driver.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by skybluepink02 View Post
I think trying teens as adults is appropriate in the case of homocides and other violent crimes. I don't see what good would come of trying him as an adult in this particular case.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I think trying teens as adults is appropriate in the case of homocides and other violent crimes. I don't see what good would come of trying him as an adult in this particular case.
Why? If they are too young to make adult decisions and suffer adult consequences for lesser crimes, why should the standard be different for severe crime?

Kinda off the original topic, sorry.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
I don't think it is funny at all, but I also don't think he should be tried as an adult. I like the idea of giving him community service and finding out why he keeps doing this. He has been charged before with stealing a bus so there is a history here. Yes, he didn't hurt anyone or damage anything, but if it was me and my kids on the bus he decided to steal and drive, I would be pretty upset.

DC

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Warda_Rose View Post
Why? If they are too young to make adult decisions and suffer adult consequences for lesser crimes, why should the standard be different for severe crime?

Because quite frankly, our criminal justice system is overloaded. To tie up a courtroom and spend money on a crime like this, shouldn't take precedance over much more serious misdemeanor or felony cases that could be using those same resources. In addition, there are specific legal distinctions made according to the circumstances of each crime and their level of seriousness. There are problems with that system too, but I won't go into that.

DC

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Warda_Rose View Post

I don't see the problem with "ruining" a teenager's life (by sticking him or her with a criminal record) when they've already destroyed somebody else's. This particular case was a stupd prank where nobody got hurt. I can totally understand how a teenager could see this as being "perfectly OK" without having a completely warped sense of morals or being a hazard to society.

With homocide in particular, there's no statute of limitations. Some homocides aren't solved for years, or even decades, after the crime has been committed. Imagine a murder is finally solved, and the perpetrator (now an adult) was a teenager at the time of the crime. This person can't now be tried? The victim is still dead!

The person's age and maturity level can certainly be brought as evidence during the trial- is this young person a "hardened criminal" already or a scared youngster who's already cleaned up his/her act just from the threat of the criminal justice system? I'm not saying that ALL teenagers committing violent crimes should be tried as adults, just that I agree it should be an option, to be considered on a case by case basis.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
You know the kids with autism who obsess over bus schedules, or trains, or spiders (like mine).. I sort of got that impression with this kid. Just from where they quoted him saying

Quote:
"I drove that bus better than most of the LYNX drivers could," the teen, who is too young to drive legally, told a deputy after he was stopped and arrested. "There isn't a scratch on it. I know how to start it, drive it, lower it, raise it."
I just sorta got that impression from him. I could be wrong but I didn't, at least from this article, get that it was malicious in any sort of way and that he might have something like Aspergers going on where he's just intensely knowledgable over his given subject and maybe it got the best of him and went too far..

Maybe I'm just projecting. I could totally see my kiddo going overboard like that over trains and spiders. (He did just last week, invading his sister's class to teach them about a spider molt TEN times in one day)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.