Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What age do you think it is appropriate or innappropriate for boys to stop using the woman's restroom?

My son is nearly 5, and as far as I'm concerned, it will be a long time before he's ready (or I'm ready) to let him go to the men's room by himself. But I started to wonder around what age we could expect that transition to happen.

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
My 9 year old has been going in the men's room for about a year now (with me standing outside shouting in at him if he isn't quick enough). For a couple of years before that, I had to guide him into the women's restroom with him covering his eyes (his idea, not mine).

I really wish there were more unisex bathrooms around here.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I hit this the other day when I was at the town pool and they told me that my 6 year old son had to go through the men's locker room to get into the pool area.
My response was, sure, as long as I'm going with him.

So, obviously my 6 year old ds is coming with me into the ladies, and that's not changing anytime soon. I think the age would depend on the child, but I wouldn't be attempting it myself before the age of 9 or 10.

Sue

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital
My DS and I have been struggling with this for quite some time. He wants to go into the men's room but I cannot handle the fear that there is someone lurking in there waiting to hurt my baby. He's 6, by the way.

My 7 year old is the same as your son. But if there is no family restroom he comes with me to the ladies room, protesting all the way. I know the chances are slim that there is a nut in there but the chance still exists.

·
Registered
396 Posts
DS is almost 4, and insists that he won't pee unless he gets to go in the men's. Fortunately this is only at the farmer's market so far.... I don't know why. I just say oh well, don't pee then, or go when you can go with Papa. Of course he is little--but I think it'll be a long time. It's interesting to me that he's got the idea so early.

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
My seven year old still comes with me to the ladies room, if we cannot locate a family restroom. However, there have been 2 occasions when I have let him use the mens' room. I picked up a trick online: I make him sing or whistle the whole time so I know he's ok. I think the singing is actually more embarassing than coming to the women's room. :LOL

·
Registered
405 Posts
I feel the same way mammas...ds#1 is 4 and he doesn't really notice that he is the only male and he will also be accompanying me to the ladies room for a while... it can be so scary just thinking of what is lurking out there. Of course we live in NYC!

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Take him to the ladies room with you until he absolutely refuses. If people give you dirty looks, that's their problem. Pedophiles have been known to hang around public bathrooms. One story I know is about one guy who hung around a park bathroom and told the little boys that he was the bathroom attendant and it was his job to help the boys put their penises back in their pants.

Here's what you can do if you have to send your son into a men's room alone and you do not feel completely comfortable:

Knock loudly on the door, and shout, "Woman coming in!!!" Wait for all the men to scatter - and they will! Then open the door, stand in the doorway while your son checks the stalls to make sure there;s nobody in there. Then let him go, but stand guard outside the restroom door and don't let anyone else in until he's done. Tell them your little boy is in there alone and your just keeping him safe, and that it will be just a minute or so.

It's ballsy, but it'll keep your son safe.

Dads can do the same thing with little girls and public ladies rooms, though a ladies room is much safer than a men's room. Still, I don't let DH send DD alone into a public ladies room unless it's a single bathroom.

·
Banned
2,097 Posts
Would you want your husband to take your daughter into the Men's Room? Why or why not and at what age would it not be acceptable for a little girl to go into a men's washroom with her father?

I would not want my 7 year old daughter going into a men's room, and when this has come up, my husband has stood outside the door and waited for her. I would have the same rule for a male child.

·
Premium Member
3,929 Posts
My 11 year old comes in the restroom with me. I absolutely dare anyone to say anything to me. Period.

We recently traveled to DC. I was in a strange place, in a busy city. My options are #1 - letting him wait on me outside the bathroom door while I go (not happening - he's out of my site at that point). #2 - taking him in with me and getting a few dirty looks (hasn't ever happened but I can deal with it). #3 - letting him go into a men's restroom while I wait and risking any number of total strangers looking at him or possibly touching him.

So what are my options here? My 11 year old boy is small for age. Not to mention that this age is the age where most molestations occur.

I could re-cap all the instances of boys being molested in the restroom while their mother's waited outside the door. Or the story of the boy who had his throat cut while his mother waited near the restroom at a campground.

Like a pp suggested, take them in as long as they will tolerate it! A women's restroom has stalls. We do use family restrooms whenever possible. Or restrooms that only have one toilet in them and you can lock the door to the entire bathroom......

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
my 6yo goes with me if its just him, my dd and i. if my 11yo is with me, i have him look in the bathroom first and then they both go in together. it depends on where i am also. i have been known to recently take my 11yo in the womens bathroom with me also!

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
My sons go in together (8 and 10) and my older one started at around 8-9. It depends where we are, how crowded, etc. Sometimes, I open the door and see if there are men in there or not, and use that somewhat-obnoxious method (very effective). Other times, I give the boys 45-60 seconds to get in and out. They hurry, it's kind of a game, and I tell them I'm coming in after them if they're not back in time.

·
Banned
2,097 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ERSsmom
Well...I think that's a bit different. Women's restrooms have stalls. You can't see the other women using the restroom (in most cases). If the stalls were missing doors or you could otherwise see the women using the restroom, I would wait until no one was in there. Most men's room have urinals without doors. For this reason, I wouldn't want my daughter going into the men's room either unless there was some way to stop people from entering while she used the restroom.
Men's rooms also have stalls.

·
Premium Member
3,929 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsMoe
Men's rooms also have stalls.

Generally, yes. But not always. Women's restrooms always have stalls. The point is, boys can be 'shielded' from other women while in a woman's restroom. And vice versa. This is not the case at all in men's restrooms. And there are definately urinals in every men's restroom. Who decided that boys don't need privacy?

Right or wrong, I don't want my vulnerable 11 year old around a bunch of penis' (or is that peni?) standing at a urinal. Not happening. I don't allow my children to play at people's homes whom I've never met and I certainly won't allow a complete stranger to expose themselves in front of my son while I'm not there.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
If dh is with 6 yo dd and I'm not around he takes her to the men's room.
It had never really occured to me what he did, so I had to ask him. He said men's bathrooms have stalls, because what "would men do if they had to take a crap"? (his words)

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lab
I don't allow my children to play at people's homes whom I've never met and I certainly won't allow a complete stranger to expose themselves in front of my son while I'm not there.
Amen. I take my 10 year old son into the women's bathroom when he needs to go, and as other posters have said, I absolutely double dog dare anyone to say anything to me about it. I don't know when he'll start going into the men's bathroom himself...probably when he's a man.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.