Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dd is almost 5 and has problems drinking from a cup (she has some special needs). we practice a lot with water, but every am she gets a cup of choc almond milk. that stuff stains! id like to find a sippy that is bpa free for her to use. the spout has to be fairly easy to clean ( i dont mind doin a little work to get it clean, lol) - and something that could go in the microwave would be helpful. otherwise i can heat in a mug and transfer to a sippy. im clumsy in the morning though and i can see myself dumping it all over the counter accidentally that way, lol. a water bottle with a sports/straw type spout would work as well. anyone have any suggestions? thanks!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I wouldn't microwave any thing plastic, so I can't speak to that.

Avent sippies are BPA free. So are most Munchkin. Both of those brands are widely available. Kleen Kanteen and Sigg are also widely available but they're not that easy to clean and usually have to be ordered or bought at a health food type store.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive been trying to get her to drink the stuff cold , but she wont
i dont have time to heat on the stove in my morning. transferring into another cup is probably the best option. i have a kleen kanteen for myself, i didnt even think of getting her one (duh, lol). i forgot they came in kid sizes. thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Be careful with a Kleen Kanteen if you are warming up the liquids. The stainless steel will transfer the heat right to her hands.

Doesn't Thermos make an insulated stainless steel sippy called a Foogo? I have never tried it, but I know some mamas on here have one.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, i found the foogo. looks good! found a bunch of other brands too, but im leaning more towards the stainless steel. that stuff looks like it may be more durable and easier for me to pass on to my next little one.

·
Banned
870 Posts
Nuby No Spill sippys (10 oz) are bpa, pvc and phlate (sp??) free. They are pretty easy, 3 pieces, and they're pretty cheap

·
Registered
98 Posts
Munchkin makes a bpa free sippy cup, I think their straw cups are bpa free too. I also like the Munchkin sippies because they have this one type where the sippy part is more glass rim shaped then other sippies. Hope this helps Mama.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Playtex also makes BPA-free sippies but they aren't microwaveable. I just let dd drink water from sippies and I use a porcelain mug and straw for other liquids (milk, juice, and water at mealtimes) that we drink at home and a Kleen Kanteen sports bottle when out and about.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Born Free, i play, and Sigg are ones we have. None of them have ever had BPA. I wouldn't microwave any of them of though.

If you need to heat liquids, do so in a ceramic mug, then pour the warm liquids into the sippy cup.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If/when I microwave liquid, I like to do it in a pyrex measuring cup (the big 2.5 cup ones) and then pour (has a helpful spout) into the cup. We LOVE klean kanteen and I find them quite easy to clean (we have sippy cups and sports lids, but my kids will still spill the sports lids.)
I often use the pyrex cup to re-heat my coffee which I hardly ever finish on the first try!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok, i have my little list here. straws dont work for us because dd is a sensory seeker and likes to chew, lol. im thinking something like a klean kanteen for cold liquids with a sports top, and a stainless insulated cup for warm ones. i dont have a huge problem with heating and pouring from another container if i need to. id rather have two sturdy cups around than a million plastic ones. dd is still learning to drink from a regular cup, and i cant handle the mess of spilled choc milk all over the rug at 5:30 am when we get up. lol. otherwise im pretty strict about her using a real cup (she normally uses a small glass tumbler) so she can get the hang of it- we would only use something like with a sports spout while out and about. its cool to read about all these options though for when the new baby comes. i had no idea there were so many bpa free options out there. i found all kinds of food containers and utensils while i was "reasearching" the other day, too.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
If/when I microwave liquid, I like to do it in a pyrex measuring cup (the big 2.5 cup ones) and then pour (has a helpful spout) into the cup. We LOVE klean kanteen and I find them quite easy to clean (we have sippy cups and sports lids, but my kids will still spill the sports lids.)
I often use the pyrex cup to re-heat my coffee which I hardly ever finish on the first try!

oh hey the pyrex idea would probably fix my morning clumsiness problem
: lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We're offering Klean Kanteen sippy cups at a savings of 45% off! Just type in the coupon code: SALE20 at checkout and you'll receive this deep discount.

These are the safest sippy cups out there--100% BPA-free and also easy to wash. Kids really love them, too.

Check it out here:
Klean Kanteen Sippy Cup

Enjoy!
ReusableBags.com

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
You've already gotten lots of great suggestions on the brands. I have Advent, Born Free, a Foogo, and Kleen Kanteens. Kleen Kanteens are my current favorite because they are easy to clean (but I hand wash all sippys) and while the Foogo was great for a while, it is more fiddly to clean. Born Free night be best for a 5 year old because the flow is the fastest.

I also wanted to add (sorry if this is too obvious) that I often pour warm liquids into sippy cups and I find it best to do this over the sink!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.