Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new... I'm certainly not in the "extended" time period yet, but I thought this would be the best place for advice:<br>
My dd is 7 months old and nursing around the clock; every 2 hours or so during the day, then every 4 hours or so overnight, and no solids yet. My question is this: when can I stop wearing a bra all the time (Even to sleep!) and nursing pads?!? I thought I was through with the pads around 3 months. I stopped wearing them around the house. Then there was a growth spurt and my dd had surgery (2 days in a row I wasn't allowed to nurse her for almost 12 hours each day because of tubing/anesthesia), and I was back to soaking pads several times a day. Then, the last week or so I've noticed the pads are dry at the end of the day. BUT, last night I wore a less-than-supportive bra to bed. While I was nursing dd on the right side, old leftie slipped out of the cup a little and milk just flowed- soaking the pad, the bra, and my shirt. Am I doomed to wear a (good) bra to bed from here till weaning, months upon months down the road?<br>
My older dd was weaned so early due to horrible, horrible "medical" advice, and this is the longest I've nursed... any insight, personal experiences, etc will be greatly appreciated!!<br>
Thanks,<br>
"Bound" in SC

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I bf my ds until he was 2.9 years. I had to wear breast pds until he was 18 months. I was wearing 2 on each breast for at least a year, and changing them with each feed. I have crazy overactive letdown. Nursing in public can be a scene! :LOL<br><br>
I have a newborn now, 9 weeks. This time around I wear one set of single pads all day long and they do the trick. I don't wear a bra at night now either, but I do need to put something on the other breast when he is feeding or I would soak everything. If he does a long stretch, like 6 hours, my shirt will be wet though.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
WOW, i'm sorry to give you my info but maybe it will help a little, with ds1 i had to wear them about 6-7 months day and night, then i found sleeping with a folded cloth diaper in my shirt (no bra) was more comfy...<br>
DD1 i was leaking till she was about 3-4 months durring the day, (had to stop nursing at 6 months)<br>
DD2 i wore then about 8 weeks and haven't since then, at night again i sleep with a diaper folded in my shirt. You may want to look into lilypaz they keep you from leaking rather then obsorbing the milk... think the website is just <a href="http://www.lilypaz.com" target="_blank">www.lilypaz.com</a> (if not do a search, there was a mama on ebay selling them for about $16.00 a pair...

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
I took the easier route... I just slept on a folded over towel (about 4 layers between me and the mattress) - no bra - I had a problem with the girls escaping from any bra while lying down. :LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts