Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new... I'm certainly not in the "extended" time period yet, but I thought this would be the best place for advice:
My dd is 7 months old and nursing around the clock; every 2 hours or so during the day, then every 4 hours or so overnight, and no solids yet. My question is this: when can I stop wearing a bra all the time (Even to sleep!) and nursing pads?!? I thought I was through with the pads around 3 months. I stopped wearing them around the house. Then there was a growth spurt and my dd had surgery (2 days in a row I wasn't allowed to nurse her for almost 12 hours each day because of tubing/anesthesia), and I was back to soaking pads several times a day. Then, the last week or so I've noticed the pads are dry at the end of the day. BUT, last night I wore a less-than-supportive bra to bed. While I was nursing dd on the right side, old leftie slipped out of the cup a little and milk just flowed- soaking the pad, the bra, and my shirt. Am I doomed to wear a (good) bra to bed from here till weaning, months upon months down the road?
My older dd was weaned so early due to horrible, horrible "medical" advice, and this is the longest I've nursed... any insight, personal experiences, etc will be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
"Bound" in SC

· Registered
1,670 Posts
I bf my ds until he was 2.9 years. I had to wear breast pds until he was 18 months. I was wearing 2 on each breast for at least a year, and changing them with each feed. I have crazy overactive letdown. Nursing in public can be a scene! :LOL

I have a newborn now, 9 weeks. This time around I wear one set of single pads all day long and they do the trick. I don't wear a bra at night now either, but I do need to put something on the other breast when he is feeding or I would soak everything. If he does a long stretch, like 6 hours, my shirt will be wet though.

· Registered
3,041 Posts
WOW, i'm sorry to give you my info but maybe it will help a little, with ds1 i had to wear them about 6-7 months day and night, then i found sleeping with a folded cloth diaper in my shirt (no bra) was more comfy...
DD1 i was leaking till she was about 3-4 months durring the day, (had to stop nursing at 6 months)
DD2 i wore then about 8 weeks and haven't since then, at night again i sleep with a diaper folded in my shirt. You may want to look into lilypaz they keep you from leaking rather then obsorbing the milk... think the website is just www.lilypaz.com (if not do a search, there was a mama on ebay selling them for about $16.00 a pair...

· Registered
4,887 Posts
I took the easier route... I just slept on a folded over towel (about 4 layers between me and the mattress) - no bra - I had a problem with the girls escaping from any bra while lying down. :LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.