Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need to slip the outside stitch knitwise on both the knit and purl rows to get a braided edge?? I have a gorgeous edge on the side that slips knitwise, but it's definetly not the same on the other side.....

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I don't think it's a matter of knitwise or purlwise- because you are not knitting the stitch anyway- you are just slipping it... the key to the pretty edge is to slip the stitch in a way that the working yarn is leading toward the stitch you are about to make and it's not crossing the edge. If you slip the stitch the "wrong way" and can't figure out how to start knitting again- does bringing the yarn between the first and second stitches get it where it needs to be?

Also- to be clear- I don't know exactly what a braided edge is. When I slip my first stitches I get an edge that looks like the right side of a crochet chain. Is that a braided edge? If not- disregard the above!

Love Sarah

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On my knit rows I've been slipping the 1st stitch as if to knit, and slipping it as if to purl on the purl rows. The edge where I slip purlwise just looks much different, and I don't like it! I want both edges to looks the same, the way they do on the knitwise slipped side. I think we're talking about the same thing!

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I've done it both ways now - slipping both sides k-wise and slipping each respective side in keeping with the stitch for that side, either K or P. I'm doing a simple stockinette piece, so of course every other row is P. Slipping pwise on the purl rows does make the braided look, but it has a noticeable purl bump on the braid. Slipping K wise on the purl row just makes a mess. Someone help me~!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts