Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
nak, and I'm not a very good naker, hence the reason I haven't been around. . .

I have a recipe that calls for canned milk or light cream. Is there any way to doctor up rice milk to get something along those lines? We can't do soy, dairy, corn, coconut, almond or hemp, so all the usual suspects are out. Ideas? thx
:

· Premium Member
10,581 Posts
I've been meaning to test this out myself, but could you condense it yourself?
All you need is 2x's the amount of milk, a pot, a stove and some patience, then let the milk simmer until it's only 1/2 the amount it was (ie use 2 cups if you want 1 cup of it).

· Registered
5,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
oooh, how about adding ground cashews to thicken it up and add some fat?
I'm not eating nuts while bfing, so no cashews for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
I've been meaning to test this out myself, but could you condense it yourself?
All you need is 2x's the amount of milk, a pot, a stove and some patience, then let the milk simmer until it's only 1/2 the amount it was (ie use 2 cups if you want 1 cup of it).
I'll have to try this.

I didn't even end up making them because I'm too tired to deal with more dirty dishes today!

· Registered
685 Posts
It depends on what you are baking. I make my adjustments with butter and goat milk yogurt, home made mayonaise, etc, but if you are not doing dairy, including the goat's, you may have no option, but no baking goods. yeah, I know... Birthday cakes were a big challenge for me.

· Registered
442 Posts
Have you tried oat milk (it looks like something you can eat based on your list). I really like it for baking and cooking stuff as it's a lot thicker than rice milk. It's also a bit sweet, so would likely work for brownies. Maybe condensing it a bit more also would help as well.

· Registered
10,748 Posts
coconut milk is probably a good sub for brownies. The brownies I made were too cake-like for me, but DS loved them. I can't remember if I put that recipe on my blog or not though. If not, I can look for it for you. It's wheat, egg, corn, etc. free. I made chocolate cupcakes for myself for my birthday yesterday because everyone else was too scared, with all the food restrictions.

· Premium Member
10,581 Posts

I saw it in the other thread but forgot to add mine so I'll add them now: Belated birthday wishes for Kathy!
:

· Registered
596 Posts
Definitely too late for the brownies...I am sure they are long since made and devoured. To thicken, I was going to try adding some of my pureed rice "baby cereal" to rice milk. Something I want to make is asking for buttermilk...so I will be adding a tad of lemon too. How did the brownies turn out?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.