Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been doing EC with our daughter since birth with success. A few potty pauses here and there, but always getting back on track by trying new potties, watching for new cues, etc.
Last month our son was born 18 days after my daughter turned 1 yr. We fully expected a "setback" especially with all the company in and out, and me being unable to consistently give her the normal pottytunity routine. I actually just put her back in disposables (instead of cloth) for a couple weeks while recovering from giving birth and only offered opportunities when it was convenient for me. Didn't make any deal over misses.
After a couple weeks, I decided to try to be more consistent and started back up with cloth diapers. Tried taking her at normal times after waking or eating, but it really seems that she is "stuck" somehow with actually preferring her diaper. She definitely knows when she's going, and I still cue her as much as possible even in the diaper, but if I see her going and take her to the potty, she will stop (pooping for ex) and actually hold it for almost indefinite lengths of time. I've tried everything I can think of: offering different potties, various locations, new toys, songs, hand plays, etc) with no apparent success.
I'm not giving up or discouraged, but just wondering if anyone has experienced this? Am I on the right track? I know it's important to stay positive, but it's hard sometimes to have no success day after day and more than a month has passed... I have literally caught 1 poop (after she started in the diaper and I "made" her stay on the potty for probably 20 mins to finish) and just a handful of pees in the past several weeks.
Ideas are welcome! On a positive note, my newborn is doing great with EC :) Love the fact that it's SO easy when they're so young :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We've been doing EC with our daughter since birth with success. A few potty pauses here and there, but always getting back on track by trying new potties, watching for new cues, etc.
Last month our son was born 18 days after my daughter turned 1 yr. We fully expected a "setback" especially with all the company in and out, and me being unable to consistently give her the normal pottytunity routine. I actually just put her back in disposables (instead of cloth) for a couple weeks while recovering from giving birth and only offered opportunities when it was convenient for me. Didn't make any deal over misses.
After a couple weeks, I decided to try to be more consistent and started back up with cloth diapers. Tried taking her at normal times after waking or eating, but it really seems that she is "stuck" somehow with actually preferring her diaper. She definitely knows when she's going, and I still cue her as much as possible even in the diaper, but if I see her going and take her to the potty, she will stop (pooping for ex) and actually hold it for almost indefinite lengths of time. I've tried everything I can think of: offering different potties, various locations, new toys, songs, hand plays, etc) with no apparent success.
I'm not giving up or discouraged, but just wondering if anyone has experienced this? Am I on the right track? I know it's important to stay positive, but it's hard sometimes to have no success day after day and more than a month has passed... I have literally caught 1 poop (after she started in the diaper and I "made" her stay on the potty for probably 20 mins to finish) and just a handful of pees in the past several weeks.
Ideas are welcome! On a positive note, my newborn is doing great with EC :) Love the fact that it's SO easy when they're so young :D
Oh, and she knows the sign for "all done" and uses that often on the potty when I give her opportunities, so I take her off and within a very short time she goes in the diaper. She can say "pot pot" and also has been learning to sign for toilet, but doesn't seem to connect these with needing to go. I'm sure this will in time though, so am not really worried about that part.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
it could just be a typical developmental "potty pause" (is she walking yet?) or perhaps is related to the new baby, but either way, just keep offering and talking to her about it "oh your pants are wet, lets get you dry ones and next time you can go in the potty". Also having lots of potty places can help at this stagewhere they're getting more independent and busy and don't want to stop to go all the way to the potty (even multiple potties in the same room)

I think there's about a dozen new-ish threads on this board that all address potty pauses, and it's all applicable regardless of the "why" of the pause =)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it could just be a typical developmental "potty pause" (is she walking yet?) or perhaps is related to the new baby, but either way, just keep offering and talking to her about it "oh your pants are wet, lets get you dry ones and next time you can go in the potty". Also having lots of potty places can help at this stagewhere they're getting more independent and busy and don't want to stop to go all the way to the potty (even multiple potties in the same room)

I think there's about a dozen new-ish threads on this board that all address potty pauses, and it's all applicable regardless of the "why" of the pause =)
I think you are right. She started walking 2 days after the new baby was born, so those are two major events that could cause a potty pause. I'm just hoping that leaving her in disposables didn't get her too accustomed to being wet, since she doesn't seem to care about having a wet diaper/pants. I always tell her that we should get her changed since it's not comfortable to have a wet diaper, and next time she can tell mommy and go on the potty... I'll just keep doing the same and hope we can get back on track eventually! Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I think you and PP are right, with those developmental changes and life changes happening all at once.

But, I wouldn't worry about the impact of putting her in disposable for a while - that shouldn't affect her current awareness of her "wetness" in cloth. I think you have put her back in cloth? If not, that would be a good idea. Disposables will always feel dryish, so the feelings cues will not be there. So, you haven't really gotten her used to being "wet" all the time - in fact, she may just think that she can be dry in a diaper now.... so returning to the cloth to feel the wetness will certainly help with that - give it time again for her to get back in her groove... :) I also agree that in addition to continuing to encourage pottying and communication and not forcing the issue, if you have several potties in each room (different types even), you may find she just ends up using one rather than another in the moment all on her own. It is about associations at this age, and there is likely just too much going on in her speedy little brain right now.

Enjoy ECIng both of them together!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. Just thought I would post back and give an update. We are getting through this pause! I bought a toilet seat insert and decided to try letting my daughter choose whether she wanted to go on her potty or on "mommy & daddy's big potty". Without fail she always points to the "big potty". So now she sits there and we read stories until she's ready to go. I figured out that her "all done" signing may not have really meant all done. Instead, it was her way of saying she was getting bored. So now I say something like "oh we're not done yet, we just got started. Let's read some more stories" and sometimes that does the trick. We're not back to 100% but catching several pees and even poops again, which is way better than nothing day after day! Thanks for all your support!

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
oh, that reminds me of something I did with my boys around that age. When they'd woken up from a nap and had a bit of nursing, I'd put them on the big potty with a small cup of water. The cup would be a bit distracting (so they wouldn't struggle to get down) and having a little sip usually made them realize they needed to pee :thumb

So glad things are working better for you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts