Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course, advice is what a lot of people are here for, right? Well, here's my situation.<br>
DH and I decided to TTC. We started out our marriage thinking we wanted NO kids, and now have totally changed our minds and have been discussing our future children. The timing of the TTC is what we're wondering about.<br>
I'm currently on BCP, and have been since I was 14 (I'm 27 now). There was a year or two I was off, but I've been pretty consistent with them other than that. I'm also a smoker, and plan to quit before getting pregnant. I'm thinking I'd like to try Wellbutrin to help with that. Now do you guys know anything about how long to stay off the pill bf TTC or if Wellbutrin is safe for TTC? I certainly wouldn't want to harm the baby in any way.<br>
I also realize these are questions to ask my MD, but I work in the medical field and know how often MDs or CNMs will spout off stuff they read in an article or not give you full answers (I see it with my patients ALL THE TIME) instead of real life experience answers.<br>
So I guess I'm just turning here to you guys to see if I can draw from your wealth of knowledge in addition to what the MD may say. And I say MD although I'll probably seek a CNM! We're moving to a different part of the state in about a month, and would like to TTC soon after.<br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
Hi and welcome!<br><br>
I don't really have much real life experience (I'm just starting to ttc #1 as well). And I know nothing about wellbutrin/smoking. But what I've heard about the bcp's is that you can start ttc immediately after you stop taking them. Some people will say you should wait 3 months or so. There are two reasons:<br><br>
1st, to let the hormones "get out of your system." This is based more on older bcp's that had higher doses, and isn't really relevant any more.<br><br>
The 2nd reason is so that your cycles can get regular again before you ttc, in order to get a more accurate due date. On the other hand, there are a few studies that show that the first cycle or two off of bcp's can be extra-fertile. (Sorry, don't have anay links)<br><br>
HTH!

·
Registered
921 Posts
eh, I'd vote waiting at least 3 months as well... I teach NFP and have seen lots of post-pill charts and I can say that cycles *are* affected for a couple of months post-pill before they stabilize... if the hormones just magically disappeared immediately then the cycles should be fairly "normal"- however, most post-pill cycles tend to be a little wonky. I personally would not want to take any chances on the Pill hormones affecting my developing baby.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts