Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BOY I keep going back and forth, back and forth on areas!

Hi all! Last Friday, we (kiddos and I) drove down to see their daddy/dh. We went out to eat and wanted to get a feel of the environment. I liked Brandon a lot. I couldn't believe the congestion though around the mall but I like that. I can tell it appeared to be family oriented. We checked out a few areas and rode by some homes for rent too. We are planning on visiting again and looking around the South Orlando/Kissimmee area next week. We still haven't decided yet on the area. We, of course, we have decided to rent and not buy a home in this inflated housing market. It's ridiculous to say the least.!
Anyhow, my next step is to research highschools for my oldest. She wants to attend highschool and the only option I'm giving her is a private school. Wow, on the costs. It's not like that at all in Cincinnati OH area. I've also have begun looking at ballet studios, karate studios and fencing instruction. I did come across a catholic school that offer dance with a nifty price of 8200 a year for one student. :LOL You got to be kidding me. Um, I would like to work again but not to pay for tuition.

I have a option to look at schools in Tampa, Brandon and Lakeland areas. Catholic schools accept anyone not in a close area. I'm just really feeling uncomfortable about schools in general. I've been homeschooling for 3 years now and have adapted to the lifestyle of it. *Sigh*

Now that I've
to you all to death... I'm looking for recommendations ranging from Pediatricians, ballet/dance, karate , fencing and to schools. I'm not 100% on catholic schools. My kids have been to christian, catholic and public schools back home. Each one had it's advantages and disadvantages. So if you know a school public or private that offers ballet/dance as a sport.. please help with that too.

After we observe Kissimmee/ South Orlando areas, I'll come back and ask for that too. I want to be able to make a decision soon on the area, so we can just focus on the area with important recommendations for my kiddos. This will help me narrow down my decision.

Sorry for the ramble. I'm

TY

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I went to Santa Fe Catholic High School in Lakeland and loved it! I don't think it has ballet or dance as an actual sport. Well, there is a dance team, but it's more like cheerleading and I don't think they have a class really. I think tuition is around $6000.

I know that there are formal dance classes as electives at All Saints Academy in Winter Haven (just east of Lakeland). I think high school tuition is about $7500 or so.

I don't know anything about fencing or karate classes. Here in Lakeland there are a number of options for ballet. Florida Dance Theatre is really good.

Our pediatrician is at Lakeside Pediatrics. We really like them! They are huge financial supporters of our La Leche League group.

Ask lots of questions and I'm sure people will be happy to answer!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. All Saints was the one that cost 8200 a year. I think it's actually more cos of all the additional costs. Her eyes lit up when I showed her the website. I was hoping to dish out that money for college tuition. I would definitely have to work if I were to send her there.

Thanks for the links to the pediatricians & dance theatre too.
I use to love change and can easily adapt to it but I find myself reserved at the moment. (I think it's my age) Can you believe I still take our children back home (12 hours north) for check ups. They've gotten sick a few times but they had viruses so I didn't have to take them to any place here. I love their PEDs back home. I went through a lot of PEDs with my oldest. I couldn't find the right one that understood me cos of my age. UGH!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi! we moved here a year and a half ago from the midwest. We live in Lithia which is just south of Brandon. Fishhawk Ranch is a great place with kids. A rated high school as well. You can rent a house for about $1200 and it has LOTS of kids and activities for you kiddo's! IT is away from congestion and surrounded by big OAK trees! I love it here. LOTs of homeschoolers as well. Dance quite a few good ones nearby, Peds' well Florida lacks in "natural" minded ones but they are there. Keep us posted if you end up near Brandon and we can meet up!

·
Registered
5 Posts
oooooo I love the Fishhawk Ranch area. SO clean and perty

Wish I could afford to live there....LOL. I live in the Seffner/Mango area, hate it here really. We used to live right behind Nativity Catholic Church there on Hwy 60 in Brandon.

We've been homeschooling so I don't really know anything about the public or private schools, but I'd say for things like ballet and karate ...there's lots of places locally that offer classes. Too many to list I'd say. I can't give personal references for them, but I'd hazzard a guess and say that if you enrolled in one and didn't like it, you'd still have oodles of others to choose from. Brandon is a real central location. Within 5-15 minutes of Tampa, Temple Terrace, Valrico, Riverview, Plant City (which I LOVE)....lots of choices really close.

And yeah, the area around Brandon Mall can get pretty congested, but that's really the main road for Brandon. Hwy 60. You can live just 5-10 miles from that very mall and be pretty countryfide

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks ladies! We are leaning towards Brandon areas. I want to check out Fishhawk too. Do you see homes for rent there? I've checked rentclicks.com and tbo.com and no homes for rent.

I'm getting butterflies on moving. A new area and I think I will be close to heaven. So much stuff to do down there. I don't think we will be bored not for even a second.

·
Registered
42 Posts
fishhawk has quite a few homes for rent. Gary Distler 833-2948 or Debbie clark 684-0036 both relators people might be able to help. Most are listed through the MLS I think. Rent usually starts at about $1100 for a home. I also noticed that the new townhomes that are off Fishhawk Blvd. have some for rent. I am a chiropractor in the area and if you need wellness type care for your kids I have a focus on pediatrics. I can recommend a pediatrician who is understanding of parents choices but..finding a good ped that supports AP is tough! There is a wholistic ped in Tampa but you have to pay out of pocket. Good luck and let me know if you need any more info!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts