Mothering Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think I had my first one today - freaked me out but talked to a mom friend and she said it sounded like a BH and the descriptions online certainly fit. My whole stomach got hard/tense for about 5 minutes and nothing I did reduced the tension.

I'm 20w4d. Anyone else have Braxton Hicks yet?

·
Registered
676 Posts
I've been having BH for a few weeks now, which is weird since I never had any at all with DD. Truly a lesson in how different each pregnancy is.

Totally harmless, though a bit off putting.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I had them constantly with the last one. I've had some small ones here and there so far.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I started getting them at 14 weeks and usually have a couple an hour. They are worst when I wake from sleeping with a full bladder! Haha! I didn't have them this early with my daughter but once they did start they were very frequent. I mentioned it to my midwife and while she said it is not usual to have them so frequently this early on she didn't seem too concerned. I like to think that it's getting strong for the main event!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I'm back to my all-too-familiar vice-grip braxton hicks. My whole belly tightens and will stay like that as long as I'm still standing... even if that's an hour or more. I don't get individual ones very often. It makes it hard to breath, walk up stairs or walk anywhere very fast. Usually sets in after dinner when I'm trying to tidy up and get the kiddo to bed. Last pregnancy I was like this nearly all day every day through the end of the second and the whole third trimester. No one knew what to do so they just told me to lie down whenever I had them which meant I had to lie down pretty much all day. I was on partial bedrest for three months which I think was stupid. I'm trying to ignore it these evenings as much as I can and then let DH take over when I'm tired. I'm just grateful to still be able to function normally during the day.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh that sounds really frustrating typebug!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm back to my all-too-familiar vice-grip braxton hicks. My whole belly tightens and will stay like that as long as I'm still standing... even if that's an hour or more. I don't get individual ones very often. It makes it hard to breath, walk up stairs or walk anywhere very fast. Usually sets in after dinner when I'm trying to tidy up and get the kiddo to bed. Last pregnancy I was like this nearly all day every day through the end of the second and the whole third trimester. No one knew what to do so they just told me to lie down whenever I had them which meant I had to lie down pretty much all day. I was on partial bedrest for three months which I think was stupid. I'm trying to ignore it these evenings as much as I can and then let DH take over when I'm tired. I'm just grateful to still be able to function normally during the day.
Yes it does sound frustrating. I hate not doing anything and lying down for long periods is torture.
I've never had BH this early and I frankly didn't know you could have it this early but then again I think I'm not as sensitive to what my body is up to? Anyway, haven't had any yet as far as I know.
I hope you are coping ok.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
@stardogs @firmfoot Thanks! Yes, last time around hard. But I'm really fortunate that I was immersed in a culture at that time that honours pregnant women and help flooded in. So I was stir crazy and very bored but I had people insisting on cooking, shopping the market, cleaning fish, cleaning the apartment, doing laundry, prepping trays of fresh fruit and veggies... I even had someone send over their reflexologist and another sent her prenatal massage therapist. When I wasn't going stir crazy I was just feeling so much gratitude and love for these women. Bed rest for North American women is truly torture. Our culture says "you did this to yourself, deal with it yourself". It's sad now that I'm aware of it. Grateful that I had that experience during a pregnancy when I really needed it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
@typedog, this sounds intense! :( Are they still lasting long stretches like all night or are you getting any relief? So interesting how we're all doing the same thing (biologically speaking) and our bodies can do such different things!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
@typedog, this sounds intense! :( Are they still lasting long stretches like all night or are you getting any relief? So interesting how we're all doing the same thing (biologically speaking) and our bodies can do such different things!
This time around I get them before or after dinner until I go to bed. As soon as I'm lying on my side they release. Looking it up online now I see that last time I was treated for Uterine Irritability but was never given an exact diagosis.

·
Registered
83 Posts
This time around I get them before or after dinner until I go to bed. As soon as I'm lying on my side they release. Looking it up online now I see that last time I was treated for Uterine Irritability but was never given an exact diagosis.
Hm, that's interesting. I've never even heard of Uterine Irritability before. I feel like there is so much about birth and pregnancy I don't know...and that a lot of people probably don't know unless they are dealing with it personally. I hope this time around they ease up so you can enjoy the coming months before the baby gets here!

I haven't had any Braxton Hicks yet, (I don't think) but I have crazy low pressure that felt super unexpected. I have always utilized my feet to lift things off the floor (very lady-like, I know) haha, and the other day I went to do it and lost my breath, it was such an intense and weird pressure. I almost don't want to say pain but there was just this limitation which wasn't there before. I guess I should have expected that to happen, eventually? But for some reason I didn't.

Anyway, I hope all the mamas are staying relatively comfortable in the months approaching December! (EEEE!!!!:grin:)

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Just in case any mamas are starting to get a lot of BH contractions I'll share some of my advice on dealing with a scary run of what feels like too many BH contractions.

Take a break from whatever you're doing and lie down. If this doesn't make them stop, give your OB or midwife a call. They will likely tell you to get into a warm bath, try different positions lying down and call them back if it still doesn't change. Your OBGYN might ask you to go into the hospital or clinic for a check-up. Your midwife might stop by to determine if there's anything going on. None of this is really serious, don't panic. Everyone always airs on the side of extreme caution.

We've all got our triggers. In general dehydration, over exertion especially in the heat can get them going and an imbalance of electrolytes can make them worse. I had a hard time sitting at a desk or in a car for very long, any static position was difficult to maintain. Walking up stairs or uphill brought on the big ones. I've taken the prescription drugs for them but honestly the warm bath was more helpful and I've even had a smidge of white wine from time to time. Not red wine though, red wine is a uterine irritant!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just took a look at this thread because I never had BH with my first pregnancy and have no idea what they might feel like... But am feeling super anxious these days and have spent a couple of sleepless nights wondering if that little twinge was a contraction. Last night my lower back started to ache a little, and then I got a huge adrenaline rush from fear that it was premature labor and couldn't get back to sleep. The ache went away and came back once but it was so faint, who knows... I'm also getting some round ligament twinges that make me worry. I don't know what I'll do if I start having real Braxton Hicks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts