Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 31.5 weeks pregnant with my 4th child.

With my other children, I didn't notice strong braxton hicks until 37 weeks or so. I am sort of surprised to be having them now. They started about a week ago. I can tell when one is coming on, my cervix/vagina starts to feel strange, sort of achy and tight and then my whole uterus becomes hard. They happen a lot at night, some during the day, but not regularly. Anything to worry about?

Mel

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
You definatly want to bring it up with your care giver, just in case.

I'm almost 27 weeks and I've been getting Braxton Hicks for awhile now. They seem to be most prevelant when I'm doing something physical like going for a long walk or when I'm laying down after a long day. I was told not to worry because it is not uncommon for women who have already given birth to experience Braxton Hicks earlier. I guess you uterus already knows what it's supposed to do so it knows how to practice better.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I really don't remember having them at all w/ dd, but with this one I started having them fairly regularly at about 30 weeks or so (now at about 34 wks). I was having them mostly in the evening after I had been on my feet all day at work. If I had to work a late shift, they were worse. Now I have gotten to the point now where I hardly notice them, they just happen.

I read that it is common to feel them more in 2nd, 3rd... pregnancies. It also said that it is not uncommon to start feeling them by about 20 weeks. My dr told me that they were nothing to worry about unless I was having other symptoms, i.e. bleeding, fever, etc.

As long as that is all you are feeling, don't stress about it. They are not going to hurt you or the baby. And hopefully (like me) you will hardly notice it after a while.

Good Luck
TerriKay

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
I started feeling braxton-hicks contractions regularly around 22 weeks, just after I felt true baby movements. Our midwives said unless they start to feel different than usual, i.e. crampy or painful, they are nothing to worry about and are good practice for the uterus. Didn't make my 36 hour labor shorter, though.n

warmly,
claudia

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies..

I guess what made me a little concerned is that these contractions feel a lot like the ones leading up to my last labor.. I didn't notice they were regular until they were about 3 min apart and they weren't painful until then.. by the time I made it to the hospital, only 20 minutes away, I was already 8 cms. I guess I just need to watch the contractions closely to make sure they're not getting regular.

Mel

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Yours sound different than mine. My BH contractions never involve my cervix or vagina... Just a tight uterus/belly. I think I would be concerned if I felt my BH were affecting my cervix.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I think the rule of thumb is any more than 4 to 6 per hour warrants a call to the midwife. If you're also having lower back/menstrual type cramping and/or pelvic pressure I'd call just to be safe. Sometimes all you need to do is drink lots and lots of water and rest a bit and they stop, but if you notice a pattern of regularity to them get it checked out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.